Eat Drink Man Woman - Ang Lee [General]

2008 Jun 23
Have you watched Ang Lee's old movie called Eat Drink Man Woman? The movie talks about a retired Chinese chef and his family.

The opening scene of the movie was the most interesting part. I found it from YouTube and hope that you will enjoy it too!

I think Ang Lee tries to use this movie to introduce Chinese food and the preparation work required for a great dish!

2008 Jun 23
This was one of the first DVDs I bought way back. I love this movie! Especially the way that cooking is used as an expression of love.

2008 Jun 23
What a knife collection!! one of my favourite food as cultural metaphor movies, and one of Ang Lee's best films (imo).

2008 Jun 23
I remember this movie.

In the opening scene, I really like the use of a barrel smoker/bbq and when the chef does mouth to mouth resusitation on a dead goose. Kinda funny, in a sick way.

Boy .... Would I ever want to sit down to dinner with those sisters. I would be ever so charming.

2008 Jun 23
This is one of my favorite movies - I highly suggest everyone to go rent it (it was available at Rogers in Kanata) It was redone in a mexican theme a while back to, but I have not seen that version.

2008 Jun 23
Ashley, have you seen Tampopo, Juzo Itami's "Japanese noodle western"? Its more of a comedy / satire, focused a truck-driver who mentors a recent widow / shop owner in developing the perfect bowl of Ramen ... its pretty over the top. But, it covers some territory in common w/ EDMW -- e.g., culinary knowledge / traditions and their intersection w/ other aspect of culture (and cultural change).

And, like EDMW, Tampopo also includes its share of drool-worthy food preparation and consumption (incl. a famous scene involving raw egg yolk).

www.imdb.com/title/tt0092048/

Anyway, i thought of this in relation to your mention of Japanese movies in the "creative mom" thread.

2008 Jun 23
One of my favorites as well, do not watch while hungry :)

Notice in the opening scene, there is a shot with a cleaver and the hands are definetely not those of the actor, much younger hands...

Too bad the Sweet Potato Cafe is no more, I could use some Taiwanese food right now...