Visiting Ottawa again..Need suggestions! [Food/Vendor]

2008 Jun 21
Hi everyone, I've browsed this site a few times since I first visited Ottawa last year. This will be my third visit, and probably the last for a while, but also the most leisurely..I'd really like to get out and try some great places while I'm gonna be here this time.
What do you suggest? Favourites??
I'm up for pretty much anything, a moderate budget, nothing too expensive unfortunately. Perhaps something a little different, or a sushi place for lunch?
I'll be mostly in Kanata and downtown.
I hope you freely give advice here!!!!! :)
Greta

2008 Jun 21
LB: I'm not that keen on the sushi in Ottawa, and if you were visiting from Vancouver for instance, i wouldn't bother. That noted, Suisha Gardens and Inchibei are both downtown and competent. Unless ravenous, I'd avoid Ottawa's latest fad, the AYCE sushi establishments.

An outing relatively close to Kanata might be to visit the Carp Market on Saturday, where you'll find a small, but eclectic group of stalls serving takeaway (burgers, Indian, Chinese/Thai). Chowing down at a picnic table at farmer's market is a simple pleasure.

Otherwise, i tend to take out-of-towners to one of a couple mainstays. Assuming you like spicy food, you might try Caribbean Flavours and Chahaya Malaysia:

ottawafoodies.com/vendor/141
ottawafoodies.com/vendor/162

Neither are downtown, but if you're driving (to/fr Kanata) anyway, CF is a short detour from the highway, and CM isn't that difficult to get to either.

2008 Jun 21
If you're downtown in the morning, I'd recommend checking out the French Baker for some divine pastry goodness.

Their croissants are still the best I've ever had. One thing you do have to be sure of, though, is that you go fairly early in the morning. The heat and humidity definitely affect the texture.

The French Baker

As for distinct, moderate-ish dinners, consider Sweetgrass. I don't know of any other places that specialize in aboriginal food: Sweetgrass Aboriginal Bistro

2008 Jun 21
Well, I always say this but I whole heartedly agree with itchy feet on the Carribean Flavours front. Oh my goodness I miss it soooooooo much! *drool* Note: Super spicy alert! The food is not for the weak of mouth!

2008 Jun 21
I read (or was told) recently that nice Rasta owner,Frederick White, of Caribbean Flavours has sold it. I think some woman bought it.

Now where did I hear that ?

2008 Jun 21
Hmmmm...the website doesn't mention a change and there is still a big picture of Frederick featured - of course you never know for sure if websites are up-to -date...

2008 Jun 21
unless its been v. recent, Frederick's still the man. He set up (and was doing well) at the Westfest event. Perhaps the woman is his wife?

2008 Jun 21
CC-Nothing for me to add but I love your pics and commentaries. Tx!

2008 Jun 22
When do you plan on coming? If you would have come this weekend and visited the Carp Farmers Market, you could have seen a cooking demo by Chef Michael Blackie from Perspectives & had a chance to win a 3 course lunch cooked by him.

I second Momo, go to the Byward market and try out French Baker on Murray Street (near Dalhousie). Also, just walk around and take a look at the restaurants in the market to see what interests you. Sweetgrass is a pretty original restaurant. So, again, I second Momo on that one! And for something distinctly Ottawa - shawarma - go to the Shawarma Place on Dalhousie! ;)