Can we talk about wine for a sec? [Food/Vendor]

2006 Dec 21
I was given a bottle of Lenz Moser Trockenbeerenauslese (ghezundheit!) Prestige 2004, from a lad at the office.

He said it's similar to an ice wine.

What is good to eat with this?? I usually only have wine with food. I didn't care for the ice wine I had last year (from the same guy), but I drank it with savories such as cheese, pate etc..Maybe I did it up wrong.

Any ideas how to enjoy this nice wine?

2006 Dec 21
That's a very sweet wine, yes, somewhat like an ice wine. My sources tell me to serve it well chilled (like most dessert wine).

It would be well paired with a dessert, but the key is to find a dessert that is less sweet than the wine. Something slightly tart, like a lemon cake/bar/pie would go well, as would most fruit desserts as long as they aren't extremely sugary.

It's not great with most cheeses, however, you'll find it can be yummy with blue veined cheeses, especially stuff like gorgonzola. I'm also told it's great with foie gras. ;)

2006 Dec 21
Thanks, I've had very similar opinions from a few people. I'm thinking it might be nice to open after Xmas dinner, which is pretty filling, so I'm not sure.

The desserts will be cookies, squares, chocolates, probably some fruit. Also there will be liqueurs and coffee. Maybe too much? I really want to take advantage of this nice gift.

Thanks again.