Sourcing Green (Unroasted) Coffee Beans [Cooking]

2008 Jun 16
Besides www.coffee.ca/ are there any other local places where I can get some (unroasted) green coffee beans ?

I already tried the ones from the various Mid-East stores in Ottawa and I think there is better beans out there.

2008 Jun 16
www.roastyourown.ca will sometimes deliver

There is the place in Almonte whose name escapes me.

But I go non-local to www.greenbeanery.ca for their huge selection and social conscience (they are a non-profit whose profits go to 3rd world development in the growing regions)

2008 Jun 16
Oh, by "deliver" on the first one I mean "personally, hand deliver"

2008 Jun 16
Thanks Zy.

Yes, www.roastyourown.ca/ 's website says he'll deliver in Ottawa/Gatineau for 5 bucks or homebrew samples.

I Like this guy already !!!

PS: His beans from China are called "Hot Air Popper" .... soooo kewl !!

2008 Jun 16
You can get green coffee from Equator Coffee which is located in Almonte, not that far from Ottawa. They also deliver! Buy two pounds and the shipping is included, I think? The ethiopian yirgacheffe is a personal fav.

www.equator.ca

Zym - thanks for the URL on roastyourown.ca, never seen it before!

2008 Jun 18
So Captain, how are you going to roast them?

2008 Jun 18
Zy;

The only experience , so far, at roasting coffee is in a pan using green beans I found at my local 'Hezbulla Store'. I had to keep turning them while they roasted and blowing of the chaff was a bit messy. The result was OK, but I know I can do WAY better.

The ultimate goal is to re-create the setup in the picture.

I've got my peeps out there looking for an appropiate used hot air popcorn popper (with the vanes in the bottom). They are now scouring the St. Vinnies and the Sally Ann's across the city, as well as some garage sales.

(If any Ottawa Foodie spots one.... please let me know and I'll reward you with a few handfulls of morel mushrooms from the Yukon, yumm yumm.)

The guy at www.roastyourown.ca/ has his own video on how to roast using a popcorn popper. here it is ---> www.roastyourown.ca <---

I'm sure there are others on youTube.

Do you have any tips that you would like to share ?

PS: The pics from your NB Brew event looked good. I think I would be sucking and picking at that pig carcass for a few days, then soup.

2008 Jun 19
Hey !! I think I may have found one or two on UsedOttawa.com.

www.usedottawa.com

or

www.usedottawa.com

Anyone know if they have proper vanes/slots at the bottom on the popping chamber ? As illustrated in the picture here.

2008 Jun 19
That looks good to me.

Here is my write up on how to do it : www.bodensatz.com

2008 Jun 19
BTW, some brands even with the louvres are not powerful enough. The most popular ones are the West Bend Poppery II shown in your photo with the coffee set up 2 posts above, and the Popcorn Pumper. I would consider the one from JD's website since he's selling it as a roaster. Just be sure i guess to ask him if he's used that same model. I bought 5 or 6 WB2 and PP models at neighbourhood services and Sally Anne - each for 2 bucks.

2008 Jul 3
Captain Caper - did you find your popper/roaster?

I am the guy zymurgist referred to at roastyourown.ca If you have not found one, the ones I offer for sale are simply purchased at Home Outfitter's for all of 13$ and change (taxes included). The price you see on my website is the price I paid for them at home outfitters.

The one i have been using is now 2 years old and going strong.

The brand is Toastmaster. It has an on/off switch (very very convenient). It blows the chaff right into the bowl and, in fact, is strong enough to blow the beans out of the popper (that is the reason I lean the popper back a bit in the video). They really do the job - roast the beans evenly and circulate the beans well in the roasting chamber.

Hope that helps!

2008 Jul 3
Hey Espresso:

$13 for a popper sounds OK, but I've got my peeps out there looking for an appropiate used hot air popcorn popper (with the vanes in the bottom). They are now scouring the St. Vinnies (St. Vincent DePauls) and the Sally Ann's (Salvation Army Thrift Stores) across the city, as well as some garage sales.

No rush for me.... I'm into slow food (en.wikipedia.org).

and 2 bucks is all I got in my 'disposible income' packet right now. The Cisco Ottawa Booze-Fest seems to put a dent in my 'operating funds'.

Stay tuned, I usually drink more coffee during the winter months.

2008 Jul 3
Cool. You are far more patient than I. Anyway - if your peeps find a Toastmaster brand, you might want to consider that one as well. As I say, it works great too. For some historical purpose, the West Bend Poppery model that zymurgist refers to continues to be popular (maybe because it is becoming harder to find it becomes that much more desired??).

My first popper was some cheap-y thing (totally forget the name) but i know it did not have an on/off button and it had very narrow bars of plastic between the slots that make up the vent in the lid - these narrow bars of plastic eventually melted to the point where I had to break them off. Then the blower died. All of this transpired over about 6 months.

But this Toastmaster brand that I use is very much worth considering if your peeps spot one somewhere - hope this helps to widen your options.

cheers!

2008 Jul 3
Captain C - Cisco Ottawa Booze-Fest, LOL. I hear you bud. 10 Days of great music and good times. Lets hope the weather holds.

2008 Jul 12
So Captain, how is the roasting coming along?

Completely sold yet?

2008 Jul 13
Still looking for a suitable popcorn popper.

Came across one of these "Duck" poppers.

I can imagine little Johnny saying "Look ma !!! Mr. Quackey is puking his popcorn !!".

Also came across some "Big Top" poppers, but they did not look suitable.

Here is a site TOTALLY dedicated to roasting coffee at home. This includes using a stove top popcorn popper, an oven, a skillet or wok and a (modified ???) hot air popcorn popper.

www.sweetmarias.com/

And for those into 'suped up' hot air poppers.

www.engadget.com

This page of pictures really captures the roasting process.

www.sweetmarias.com

2008 Jul 13
Just use a regular skillet on the stove - that's how I did my first batch. Works out well. Just keep it moving like when making popcorn on the stove.

I'll dig out one of my old poppers for your if you want. I have 4 or 5 that I bought when I started roasting. Blew 2 of them so far but still have a few left :-)

2008 Jul 13
That duck popper is hilarious! I have never seen anything like that before.

His snout/beak would definitely be wilting after a few efforts at roasting beans into the second crack.

But if it worked for coffee, I'd snap one of 'em up. Hmm...makes me wanna modify my own popper.

2010 Mar 13
I know this is an old thread, but we're a home based green coffee bean seller in the Ottawa (Orleans) area.

www.homeroasters.ca

TTUL

2010 Mar 13
coffeeguy99, I've created a vendor entry for your company (Home Roasters). It's great to have more local green bean sources!