Where do you get your hot pot fix? [General]

2008 Jun 13
In vancouver b.c. these are very commen resturants and are normally open late offering cheap beer and a very social atmosphere. Anyone go out for hot pot in ottawa? If so where? I have it at home about once a month at home, but would like to find a spot in the city to go as well.

2008 Jun 13
There are currently three restaurants linked to the Hot Pot food here: Hot Pot

I've never had it in a restaurant myself -- like you, I enjoy it at home.
As you can see in the photo I keep it pretty simple. Thinly sliced meat of some kind, peeled shrimp, and coarsely chopped napa cabbage. Those cute yellow enokitake mushrooms work well too. A dish of chili garlic sauce and we're good to go! Tasty morsels followed by yummy soup (I usually add some soaked rice noodles to round out the meal).

2008 Jun 13
Hey Da Butcher:

Although I never had the Hot Pot at May's Garden (May's Garden), but over past number of years, I've seen many (usually large) tables order it up. I sat by one of these tables a few times and it smelled wonderful. The customers looked very happy with their meal (but that could have been the rounds of MaiTai they were enjoying... Gom-Bey !!!)

May's have regular hot pots and a split hot pot, where two styles can be served at the same time. Kinda like the one in the picture. I think they do spicy Sichuan-style and a Cantonese-style and maybe a Mongolian-style.

The dishes to be added to the Hot Pot looked really ample.

Hope this helps.... and I'm still enjoying the edible fungi I picked up from you, during the winter.

2008 Jun 17
That photo you provided CC looks like some hot a@# Sh@#!! Glad your enjoying the shrooms. Ive been out picking regularly and scoring lots of oyster mushrooms!! Cant wait for the chantys and boletus!

2008 Jun 23
Yangtze usually has all you can eat hot pot, but only during the winter months...I'm looking for somewhere else in the city that might have it year round.

2008 Jun 23
I like my hot pot at home! I usually pick up my meat and other things at 168 and then make the stock at home. According to both my Asian as well as my Caucasian friends, I make a killer hot pot sauce! So... why go out when I can enjoy it at home with friends and family! Actually, after reading the thread on home based cooking things, I've seriously considered making my sauce at home and selling it on Somerset... something to ponder!

2008 Jun 23
HOT POT 101

Ok I am somewhat familiar with this dish, although I have never had it (as I recall) or made it. I am more familiar with its European cousin, Fondue. Could someone point me in the right direction where I might find out more info, or share here about their home cooking experiences. Thanks.

2008 Jun 23
Hey F&T:

Hot Pot 101

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_pot

chinesefood.about.com

www.sinica.edu.tw

www.gluckman.com

and one more from World Foodie Guide

worldfoodieguide.wordpress.com

Happy Surfing !!

PS: The World Foodie Guide is a cute little spot and has an good entry on How To Make Chinese Steamed and Pan-Fried Dumplings.

2008 Jun 24
Captain C - Thank you for those websites, the information was perfect, and recipes too!