Avatars & Icons (Part II) [General]

2008 Jun 5
Seeing as the original Forum Topic has now reached 50 replies (and takes so long to load, I thought we might continue here).

--- --- ---

Ok, folks this has interested me for awhile... how did you all pick your avatars / icons? I've been here now about 6 months and the "representations" fascinate me... at first I was disappointed when some people switch-em-up, but now I kind of like it. So what's the story?

I'd like to thank the following Foodies who have shared their "behind the pics stories" so far -- Mousseline, Zymurgist, Fresh Foodie, My Mom’s A Foodie, Candice, Tre, KSW, Saurian, Kiwiw, Ollie, Pasta Lover, Monty, Pam, Medicine Jar, Food Is Hot, Itchy Feet, WC, Alley Cat, Momomoto, Sourberry, Chimichimi, Tiana, Nanook and Kate

2008 Jun 10
Mine was something I found from Internet. I have short hair and always wanted to have long hair (never been able to let my hair grow longer because I can't stand the length and time to dry my hair).

Ashley is my middle name and I use my maiden name here. At work, I use my first name and my husband's last name. That way, I can speak freely and provide my comments without getting myself into trouble. Ottawa is a small place.

I read an security article at work. QUOTE: There are numerous cases of job candidates not being hired because of the information on their social networking page. Heather Armstrong created her own blog, Dooce.com, and was fired from her job after writing negative comments about her then employer:
“...I was fired from my job for this Web site because I had written stories that included people in my work. My advice to you is BE YE NOT SO STUPID.
Never write about work on the Internet unless your boss knows and sanctions the fact that YOU ARE WRITING ABOUT WORK ON THE INTERNET.” ENDQUOTE

I take note of this advice.

2008 Jun 10
We had a guy at work about 8 years ago apply for a job with us as a co-op student. His resume included his web page, so my boss and I called it up. Lots of pictures of him all drunked up and puking all over the place. Yeah, right, buddy. We'll hire you for sure. Idiot.

2008 Jun 10
Mine is me all tarted up for a Rocky Horror Picture Show event. I like that my face is kind of blocked with the feather boa, it is my catch all internet picture for online poker and forums and such...

2008 Jun 10
Mine.... comes from a Simpsons character generator.

It's quite accurate .... I often where a hat, I have a gold crown (molar), I like to wear Hawaiian shirts & sandals & shades. I can usually be found with a drink in my hand (like Julian from The Trailer Park Boys).

BUT.... like Ashley always wanting to have long hair, I always wanted to be slimmer. My Simpsons character is waaaaay lighter than me.

2008 Jun 10
I was break dancing one day in front of the TV ... practicing my elbow freeze and I lost my balance on the 3rd attempt ... I fell on top of the TV remote and it changed the channel to the Food Network ... and there he was Mr. Robert Irvine

2008 Jun 10
I wasn't going to post a note as mine seems pretty self explanatory, but I'll just say I love to travel and eat! My pics which I do change up, are pics of food from my travels or something special I have made at home.

2008 Jun 10
Ashley - A wise decision. It never seems to amaze me how much this techonological generation is so willing to give up their privacy... letting people (and strangers at that) into their entire lives on the internet via FaceBook, MySpace, etc.

Zym - Its one thing to give away your privacy to complete strangers (see my reply to Ashley above) and quite another to invite your employer into your personal life. LOL, to think this person even thought that after revealing "all" they'd get a job is beyond me! Can we say CLUELESS!?

2008 Jun 10
The interesting thing though is that the individual zymurgist mentioned wasn't denied the job because he drinks until he pukes. He was denied the job because he didn't hide it. That's something to think about...

I likely would have rejected him too, simply because he shows bad judgment. But I can't help but think that we're all fooling ourselves by pretending people act all professional 24 hours a day. The future lies in the hands of exhibitionists. :-)

2008 Jun 10
My name is Pete, and for the last long while I've livved in Ottawa. My pic is simply a shot from my webcam (and no webcam jokes Zym or FreshFoodie!)

2008 Jun 11
Olivers Rock - I like your pic, and the Rocky Horror Picture Show background story is great. Now there is a Foodie Movie "A Toast, to absent friends".

Captain C - What can be said? Your Simpsons-depiction is fantastic, and shows your sense of style to a tee (or should I say Hawaiian Shirt).

REAL KNIGHT - Funny stuff. Looks like you have a wicked sense of humour (you'll fit in well here). I was sure I knew you from somewhere... perhaps it was tv afterall, are you familiar with that old show "To Tell The Truth"?

2008 Jun 11
FoodnTravel & Pete-In-Ottawa - Both of you have changed your icons recently. And although I like switching things up (a change is good) I have to say I started to identify you with your previous icons.

Pete - Your last photo was much more mysterious, and edgy, kind of like how I see your take on food.

FoodnTravel - Although I love all the photos you use as your icon, my all time favourite would have to be the one with your feet up while at the beach. For me that said it all... we dream about the good life and being able to take it easy and enjoy food & travel.... that picture brought warmth to my soul over the long cold winter that was 2008. It is a great photo.

2008 Jun 11
Yeah, I had one foodie (who shall remain nameless ;-)) tell me she thought I was some 6 foot 8 big mean tough guy. She was surprised (hope not disappointed) when she met me in person to find I was only 5 foot 8, and apparently less scary looking.

2008 Jun 11
Don't ruin the illusion for the rest of us Pete. ;)

2008 Jun 11
LOL, Ollie trust me the illusion is alive and well and (according to one of his recent posts) can be found sitting on a Market Patio in dark sunglasses... he's the mysterious man who looks at home in any world capital, and yet he's in this capital, he's so edgy, so continental, he looks at home, and yet he doesn't quite fit, what is his story... who is he... so suspicious, so PIO!

[Just leave the envelope, and back away from the table]

2008 Jun 11
Good point about identifying each of us with a specific icon... I may reconsider the idea of changing it up...
Food&Think...ahh the beach photo... my fave as well...all my pics represent a great memory from a trip...

2008 Jun 13
My icon is the corsage I gave my fiancee on our first date.

2008 Jun 13
Pete....I also thought you'd be a lot bigger and tougher looking from your photo too!

2008 Jun 13
Snoopy Loopy - How romantic. Congratulations, your fiancee is one lucky gal. BTW, your post has inspired me to post a topic about engagements, hope you'll participate.

2008 Jun 13
My avatar is well... me, looking off of our cruise ship in Curacao.

2008 Jun 13
I LIKE MUSHROOMS MMMMM

2008 Jun 13
Thanks food and think. I can't seem to find the post, but I'll probably participate once it is up!

2008 Jun 16
Okay we have such a creative bunch on this site I have decided it is time to find myself a new avatar. However I am technologically challenged and am wondering if anyone could recommend a favourite place on the net where I could find avatars?... Hopefully I will have a new look sometime soon!

2008 Jun 16
Pasta Lover - Although there are "action avatars" (see the RestaurantThing) for an example of these, or "character avatars" such as the one that Captain Caper uses here, I recommend that you just find a pic on the web of something you like (or upload one from your digital camera). I believe that is what most of the Ottawa Foodies have chosen to do. I have supplied the instructions on how to do this from images on the Web. (Maybe someone else can supply the info on how to locate and load Action or Character Avatars).

Find a pic... In this example, I have used "pasta" as my inspiration, but you might have another choice. A good place to start is with Google, SEARCH the images using some pasta inspired word(s) (pasta lover, pasta, pasta chef, spaghetti, etc). When you find something you like, SAVE it to the Picture File on your computer (give it a name). Then when you EDIT your Profile on the Ottawa Foodies Website you enter the address you've saved the pic to... and this wonderful WebSite will do the rest.

With a name like Pasta Lover, you should have no trouble at all finding something you like that represents yourself. Good Luck!

FRESH FOODIE - Perhaps might have more to add on how this all works technically.

2008 Jun 16
The only remotely technical thing I can add is to warn that animated GIFs won't work as your avatar. All uploaded pictures are converted to JPEG format and animated GIFs are not convertible as such.

I figure those annoyed by the lack of support for animated icons are fewer than those who would be annoyed by having animated icons flashing everywhere. :-)

2008 Jun 17
Food&Think Thanks for your assistance I now have a new icon! (And I am collecting a few so I can alternate.) The one you see now is my favourite chef making my favourite meal - the Swedish Chef making spaghetti!

2008 Jun 17
N8 - Great pic. Curacao... man that must have been fantastic!

Da Butcher - Great personalization to your icon, and BTW, I love the nickname you use... are you a Butcher by trade?

Pasta Lover - Glad to be of help... Love the Swedish Chef, and his wacky way of talking and "swaying" around the kitchen... do you think it possible that he was into the vino?

2008 Jun 17
Hey Pasta lover: Great picture. I love the Muppets Swedish Chef.

Here he is in the famous spegetti scene, just follow this link ---> <---

2008 Jun 17
Captain C - Now that is Funny! I got tears in my eyes. Thanks for making my day.

Pasta Lover - You absolutely must put a link to that video on your Profile Page for eternity... that is a classic!

2008 Jun 17
F&T: Thanks! It was a great cruise, and Curacao is always one of my favourite stops. In fact, we are stopping there again this year. Willemstad (the capital) is such a vibrant town with lots of great shops and restaurants.

2008 Jun 17
Food&Think and Captain Caper Well I guess I'm not the only Swedish Chef fan out there! The famous spaghetti scene will live forever in my profile...

2008 Jun 18
I love the Lobster one... cracks me up every time. :D

2008 Jun 18
Nanook - They are all great... they never get old, they crack me up everytime too. The man was a genius!

2008 Jun 19
This was the only pic that I could think of that matched my Foodie name! I thought it was cute and funny.

2008 Jun 19
Ms. Hot Potato - Very cute indeed!

2008 Jun 22
Food & Think- Butchery is part of my job as a chef.

2008 Jun 26
I hope I look nothing like my photo!