Breakfast sausage [General]

2008 Jun 5
In search of a great breakfast sausage... you know, the ones that taste like sausage, and are all spongey due to filler? Let me know where I can find one. Trying to assemble a great 2-egg breakfast in Ottawa, but every where I go it seems like they do 1 or 2 things well and the other things poorly (eggs, homefries, toast, meat)

2008 Jun 5
I'd recommend the breakfast sausage from Nicastro's, on Merivale. I would avoid the breakfast sausage from Bank St. Sausage & Deli if you dislike the flavour of white pepper - last time I had there's I found the taste a bit overpowering (not to mention, white pepper is probably my least favourite spice).

2008 Jun 5
We like Aubrey's in the Market for breakfast sausages. They have a good selection but we tend towards the breakfast veal, which are very nice.

2008 Jun 5
I've heard people say the sausage at Saslove's is pretty good. I've yet to try it myself though.

2008 Jun 5
Saslove's are very good - if you can afford them :-)

2008 Jun 5
Yes, true with Aubrey's as well. Not cheap, but a nice treat every once in a while. We tend to go to the Sausage Kitchen for everyday eating, especially if they have a special on a variety that we like. I don't remember if I've ever had breakfast sausages from Saslove's but the regular ones are very good.

2008 Jun 5
I suppose I should try Aubrey's. They are a family friend and are catering my wedding. I never thought about going to them for breakfast sausage's though. I normally just go there for steaks and whatnot.

2008 Jun 5
Ah good call re: Sasloves - they have this ultimate breakfast sausage which is stuffed with bacon, pork, and maple syrup! I concur with Zym though - prices are steep for sausage.

2008 Jun 5
I second the Sausage Kitchen. They taste like real food, not the sawdust from the butcher's floor.

2008 Jun 6
Bearbrook Farms sells pretty decent ones at the Landsdowne market.