New Restaurants Wanted... [General]

2008 Jun 4
I know there is a fair number of westenders on here, so I thought perhaps I'd get your thoughts on this... as I posted earlier today another Family Restaurant and Sports Bar has opened in Barrhaven (Johnny Canuck's). And if the rumours are true, another one is on its way and is currently being built off of Strandherd west of the Home Depot. Here is the part I don't get... why is it that Barrhaven seems to only attract these sorts of restaurants? In the numbers game according to 2006 census, Barrhaven had a population of aprox. 60,000 while Kanata and Orleans were /are closer to 90,000 each. Yet the other communities both have a track record of attracting a variety of eating establishments over the years, even when they had populations closer to Barrhaven's current numbers. Don't even get me started on the fact that Bells Corners with a population of 10,000 has a better assortment of eateries than Barrhaven.

Barrhaven seems to be stuck in a rut when it comes to Restaurants... there seems to be only a couple of categories: Fast Food, Family Restaurant, Sports Bar or Italian (and the newest trend Vietnamese). There seems to be a shortage of places that offer something different in the Mid Range or Fine Eating... not like they don't do well... the few that are in this southern suburb are difficult to get into because of the numbers of people looking for such interesting places. As it stands, Barrhaven's inventory is as follows: (by category, and year founded, in the interest of space, I haven't listed the restaurants that offer only fast food - McDonalds etc, or are strictly family restaurants - Swiss Chalet):

Greenfields Pub & Eatery - Family Restaurant, Live Music & Sports Bar
Broadway Bar & Grill - Family Restaurant & Sports Bar
Barley Mow - Pub & Sports Bar (families welcome)
Kelseys - Family Restaurant & Sports Bar
Boston Pizza - Family Restaurant & Sports Bar
Johnny Canuck's - Family Restaurant & Sports Bar
*Another Ottawa Chain - Pub & Sports Bar (families welcome) - Opening TBA

La Porto A Casa - Mid Range - Italian (families welcome)
Barrhaven Vietnamese - Mid Range - Vietnamese (families welcome)
Pho Thi Fusion - Mid Range - Vietnamese (families welcome)
Barolo Buffet - Mid Range - Italian Buffet (families welcome)

Fiamma - Mid Range (themed for Adults) - Italian & North American
Tuscan Grill - Fine Dining (themed for Adults) - Italian & North America

Meanwhile it seems like every other day a new restaurant is opening in Kanata... please someone bring on the fine dining, steakhouses, seafood, sushi, thai, fusion, or a wine bar... Barrhavenites are hungry for you!

2008 Jun 4
La Porta a Casa is one of the best Italian restaurants in the city. I highly recommend it!

2008 Jun 4
Snoopy Loopy - No argument here... and if you don't reserve at least a week ahead, you can't get near the place (except for take out). Even Anne DeBrisay said in her review that she found it difficult to get a reservation. I'm wondering why more restauranteurs haven't caught on to the fact that Barrhaven is filled with foodies who are not getting their fill. A gold mine waiting to be tapped!

2008 Jun 5
This is very true. Fortunately I have connections and don't really have to wait that long for reservations or make them! But I feel your pain... it's great, simple food.

2008 Jun 5
I always hear/people mention to me that Barrhaven needs a decent restaurant. Considered opening something there but I could not imagine having to commute there on a daily basis for work. I could never live there because I like to have the city at my fingertips so alas not going to happen. Think a lot of people feel this way which is why it is mostly/only chain restaurants.

2008 Jun 5
As a completely an impressionistic, based on a small-sample response, whenever i find myself in Barrhaven, my best meals are served in people's kitchens. B-haven's (ethnically) diverse enough to support something really interesting, but the human-constructed topography, w/ its emphasis on box stores seems to favour the generic (but well financed) Kelsey types you (F&T) have reviewed elsewhere over the mom & pop places that might make it a more exciting food district.

I suspect this is going to evolve as the 'burbs in that area settle: Barrhaven reminds me a bit of Brampton, where even in that sprawl you can now find some of the best Indian & Chinese food in Canada snuggled between, and sometimes replacing, strip mall donut shops.

2008 Jun 5
I think one significant issue in Barrhaven is that there is very little workforce in the community during the day. It's either retail or construction workers that are going out for lunch.

Another issue is that there isn't a lot of spots for independent restaurants to go. They either have to build new buildings or compete with the chains for the few available spots (like Boston Pizza or Jonny Canucks). Barrhaven doesn't have the retail developments that have been around for decades like the ones in Bell's Corners, Kanata or Orleans. There is no equivalent of St Joseph, Hazeldean or Robertson Roads.

2008 Jun 5
You've all brought up some really good points.

When I was younger and lived downtown, I too thought the Burbs were miles away from everything... and I suppose that in a way they are, but they also have their own positive features... and in the case of a restaurant, lets just say somewhat of a "captive audience". There is a lot of money to be made if someone is willing to make the investment upfront.

I have a friend who is a restaurant owner in another part of the city, he'd like to locate to Barrhaven, his concerns are finding a spot. Because Barrhaven has basically been constructed on farmland, there are no "older buildings", everything ends up in new construction or renting in a strip mall with a great location (both options are very expensive per sq. ft). There are some older strip malls around (a somewhat cheaper option) but they aren't necessarily front & centre. Take La Porto A Casa, it is in a older strip mall on Fallowfield Road... not exactly in the centre hub of Barrhaven, but if you have something good to offer (and they certainly do) the people will find you. Ozzie left a job on Preston Street to open his own place. I am sure he isn't looking back. They envisioned being more an Italian Take-Out when they set up originally (hence the name)... they put in a few tables thinking people might order pizza (hence the decor). They didn't really advertise... but they offer delicious food and by word of mouth they have become the most tasty and successful sit-down restaurant in all of Barrhaven.

There is still room to rent in the mall they occupy... and I'd love to see it become a Restaurant Destination kind of spot. Also, there are several such mini-strip malls in older parts of Barrhaven (more residential) and they are empty. Again if there was food that wasn't the standard Pizza, Chicken Wings and Chinese Take Out, I am certain that they could find a very successful niche. Unfortunately everyone wants (in this moment) to be on Strandherd.

I somewhat agree with X-13D regarding the idea that Barrhaven is a bedroom community... yes it is true a lot of people communte downtown for work. But, there is a large number of people in the community at lunchhour nonetheless... all the homes and development generates construction workers, service people, real estate agents, small businesses and people who work at home. The current restaurants here don't go hungry over the lunchhour by any means.

But I agree there isn't a large business base in Barrhaven (ie, No Hi-Tech Employer)... so I'm guessing things won't change much until the RCMP relocation. I'm just saying that IMO a wise restraunteur might look at Barrhaven sooner than later... they could get in somewheres cheaper, start small, build themselves up, establish their reputation, and by the time the RCMP arrive, they could then afford to either expand their business or build / relocate. I think it is a wise investment for someone willing to take the chance.

When I look at Kanata for example, I think of Cabotto's... they started out in a strip mall in the middle of residential Beaverbrook, nothing fancy, and back then no real hi-tech business community to speak of... 30 years later they are a well established restaurant that own a multi-million dollar business (and building) on Hazeldean Road right smack in the middle of two of the cities fastest growing communities Kanata and Stittsville, and just blocks from the Corel Centre. All I am saying is I am positive this business model can be successfully copied in Barrhaven if someone takes the initiative.