Best 2 egg Breakfast [General]

2008 May 30
There is a good review in Thursday's Citizen on best basic breakfast in Ottawa. Bruce Deachman reviews 5 restaurants and readers can comment on their favourite spot. Its in Editors pick today in The Citizen online.

2008 May 30
2 egg breakfast is one of those things that are pretty hard to screw up, though certainly some manage to do so. But amongst those who do not screw it up, they are pretty much all the same. With very few exceptions. One exception I can think of off the top of my head is Cora's - mainly because of the fabulous home made bread they serve with it.

2008 May 30
Here's the link: www.canada.com

I'm happy to see that my local Ralph & Son's Ralph & Sons is one of the top five!

To add to zymurgist's comments, I've found most places do manage to screw up the simple 2-egg brekky, including Cora's. Just my opinion though. :-)

2008 May 30
Hmmm, what do you find wrong with Cora's? And how do others generally screw it up?

Maybe my expectations aren't high enough :-)

2008 May 30
I read that article and found it very interesting. I wasn't familiar with all the spots but like Fresh Foodie, over the years have found Ralph & Sons to offer a consistent meal. I also think that a lot of places screw this "basic" meal up. There is always something that isn't quite right: eggs overdone, bacon underdone, homefries that don't resemble anything, bad toast - no toast, and as the article said it is surprising how many places can't even get the morning staple of coffee (or tea) right.

As for Cora's I love breakfast there, mostly because of the fresh fruits. It is fantastic to have great quality year round, their breakfasts never dissapoint... I usually order one of the Eggs Benny dishes (they have like 5). But this is no cheap eats place (mostly because of the fresh fruits), Breakfast here can run close to Hotel prices. (And that is a whole other topic).

2008 May 30
zym, to be honest I can't recall exactly what I didn't like about Cora's basic breakfast because I had it a long time ago. Probably the bacon and/or potato part of the offering, since that's what most places screw up. That said, I absolutely love the fact that at Cora's you can have a breakfast of: Fruit Salad with Sausages! :-)

For specific examples of "screwed up" brekkies, just flip through my comments on Bacon and Eggs Breakfast Bacon and Eggs Breakfast. It seems very difficult for a restaurant to get all four components right: eggs, meat, potatoes, toast. And as Food&Think points out, they never have good coffee.

2008 May 30
Like Zymurgist, my standards for breakfast mustn't be that high because I find the 2-egger to be a pretty safe bet anyplace.

2008 May 30
Fruit Salad with Sausage - that used to be my standard at Cora's. At least the Pigs in a Blanket or whatever fancy name they have for it. I only switched to the Bacon and 2 Over Easy to save a bit of money :-)

2008 May 31
My biggest beef with a lot of places that serve breakfast is that frequently the home FRIES are DEEP fried, rather than pan-fried or grill-fried. I love it when I can find a place that will serve them this way, maybe dressed up a bit with some onions and a bit of spice (thyme, cracked black pepper, etc.)

Does anyone here know of places who make home fries like this?

2008 May 31
^ see my reviews and others under Bacon and Eggs Breakfast - i make it a point in my reviews to note whether the homes fries are pan fried or deep fried.

as for the article - i'm glad to see one of my old standbys White Horse Restaurant on Tremblay (White Horse Restaurant) made the cut

2008 May 31
Thanks Monty. Much appreciated :)

I have had breakfast at Ralph & Sons, now that I recollect. Hmmm...maybe I'll head out there early tomorrow AM :)

Cheers!

2008 May 31
Oddly enough, I'm a major fan of the breakfast at the Carleton Tavern - the potatoes have a light curry flavour to them... not deep fried freezer homefries from a bag! It's also pretty cheap (~$4), to boot.

2008 Jun 1
I keep hearing about the breakfast at the Carleton - really should make it over there some day since I live almost right next to it.