2008 May 30
Ok, folks this has interested me for awhile... how did you all pick your avatars / icons? I've been here now about 6 months and the "representations" fascinate me... at first I was disappointed when some people switch-em-up, but now I kind of like it. So what's the story?

Food & Think - I chose my icon of two champagne flutes because I think it represents where I am in my foodie life... now that I am of a certain age, I want to live the good life. That and I am a wine affectionato and have recently discovered the joy of good champagne, and someone to share it with.

2008 May 30
A lot of people seem to use their own picture. Originally I did not want to have my real name or picture in my profile because my current and a few past employers are listed in the vendors. And this is a small town.

My facebook account has my actual picture, but it is a pretty crappy photo taken with my cell phone. The day I put in on my profile, one of my friends messaged me saying I look drunk or sad in the picture. I am actually just sunburned and extremely unphotogenic! So I never bothered posting it on my Ottawa Foodies profile because I didn't want folks thinking I was a chronically depressed alcoholic or anything :)

2008 May 30
Mine is taken from a (solo) 2 week beer/foodie trip I made to Cologne, Germany in the summer of 2000. Sigh. Was it really that long ago now?

2008 May 30
My allegiance to icons is a little more slutty. Mine is the latest photo of me doing anything food related. Since I'm the photographer in the house there aren't many to choose from -- my icon changes pretty much whenever I get a new photo. :-)

2008 May 30
When I was going through my photo's to find something to post on here I found this one and it inspired my screen name.
Although looking at it again I need to update. Ahhh, they grow up so fast:(

2008 May 30
Mine is just something fun and food related. This one is the wine label from 'Chat en Oeuf'.

2008 May 30
Mine is pretty easy, I have a soft spot for a great martini. I'm probably about due for a change soon...

2008 May 30
Mine is a picture of a huge Beckoning Cat I took on my favourite trip so far to Japan in 2004. Ate TONS of great food there so it brings back great memories (as as Zym said - Sigh. Was it really that long ago now?)
I also like it because it is colorful!

2008 May 30
You guys are giving me the urge to come up with an avatar of my own (especially now that I've actually started posting around here...) :)

2008 May 30
Excellent! That little waving chef is supposed to make you feel a little silly! :-)

2008 May 30
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far
Thought I would share with you what I think of when I see your icon.

Mousseline - First let me say there is nothing wrong with the photo, but babe you sure are sunburned! I understand your concerns about using your own image, and I really like the icon you've chosen... its makes me think of a time gone by... very refined elegant lady having dessert... and well you are a pastry chef, so I'd think that something such as "tea time" (which this makes me think of) would be heaven for you as a place to showcase your talent.

Zym - Love your photo, it is so you based on your posts. And I know what you mean about travel and great memories, wouldn't it be great if we had the cash and could travel whenever we wished, to wherever we wished.

Fresh Foodie - I like your icon. Yes it shows you doing something foodie related... I think at this point I'd be disappointed if it didn't do that. In a way I can't wait to see what you'll "cook up" for your next foodie adventure.

MMF - Your photo and your screen name are perfect together. And yes, they do grow up too fast!

Candice - Yours is so cute! I recognized it right away, it is so multi-dimentional... food + wine = 1 contented cat.

Tre - Martinis rock. And so mysterious, it gives you this James Bond flair.

KSW - Love the colourful cat. So bright and cheery.

2008 May 30
Mine is a picture of a cat pretending its paws are weapons of mass cuteness! I chose this because it makes me laugh everytime I see it ... pew pew pew!

2008 May 30
I did a Google search for "fish" and found this little guy.

Am I the only one who sees a rain cloud when looking at Mousseline's avatar?

2008 May 30
Fresh Foodie said "That little waving chef is supposed to make you feel a little silly! :-)" My only excuse is that I do not yet have a goofy enough picture of myself to add to my profile nor do I have any pictures of myself in a foodie pose. My facebook photo comes close and was taken at a staff bbq last year during the brief period of time I was not munching on something! We have another bbq coming up in a few weeks so I will have to rope in our office photographer to help me out....

2008 May 30
Ollie
if you click on my profile you can see the picture full size, it's the words "For the sweet tooth" on a blue background.

F&T, yes..the sun is not my friend. Freckles, light hair and blue eyes is not a sun-friendly complexion!

2008 May 30
Yes, I have clicked on it to see the full image. It's just one those quirky things I always see. ;)

2008 May 30
it's a picture of myself and ron jeremy comparing the size of our bratwursts

2008 May 30
So it is monty! OMFG! So it is!

2008 May 30
^ haha zymurgist he came to ottawa a few years ago to do his stand up comedy routine.

i totally recognize ksw & saurian's names from another local review site that i started contributing to (and have since stopped) a number of years ago - does "norman" post here too? lol.

2008 May 30
OMG Monty! No way - I can't believe I didn't notice sooner!

That is the picture of a lifetime!

Mine is just me on the Biagio's patio enjoying some pasta, pretty boring I'd say

2008 May 31
Mine is a picture of lamb that I had at Lumiere in Vancouver last September.... it was yummy.... I think it was also the first time I had Israeli Couscous.

Cheers

p.s. Fresh Foodie - Slutty? Not the adjective I would have ever thought to have used in reference to you ;-)

2008 May 31
Kiwiw - I agree the kitty is cute, is he yours? What sticks out about this photo is his paws, they just seem out of proportion... could be an optical illusion (caused by a close up).

Ollie - Your fish is funny, for some reason between your screen name and the fish I conjur up visions of the bayou... which gets me to thinking about lots of great cajun cooking.

Monty - LOL, no fooling me, I know a full monty when I see one! Thanks for sharing the story though on how you got the photo.

Pam - Love your pasta photo, you look so thrilled to dig right in and enjoy.

Medicine Jar - Although I know that your photo is a pic of a meal (I long ago checked out the full size photo on your Profile) this icon is more interesting in its smaller presentation. When one cannot see all the detail, it definitely looks like something exotic, a pool in a lava flow, a geiser hole, or some far eastern piece of pottery... a medicine jar perhaps.

Saurian - Who knew an icon could say so much?

Pasta Lover - Your moniker gives way to so many possibilities, it will be exciting to see what you come up with.

2008 May 31
Kiwiw - I always think of yours as a kitty holding up his *stinky* little paws, as opposed to *weapon* paws. Like "Pew! Stinky!" lol

Mine is just a picture of me. I needed some additional pictures for other sites (facebook, myspace etc.) and had no one to take pics for me - I had enough no-make-up-grubby pictures, so i tarted myself up with lipstick and a corset and took a few self portraits. A little photoshop to make it more dramatic and voila! P.S. I got the corset at the ghetto Giant Tiger on Wellington. No lie.

2008 May 31
mine's a photo taken at the Ottawa river one night walking a friend home following a freezing rain storm (and a couple hrs of drinking). Not explicitly food-oriented, the photo does relate (for me) to impermanence, perspective, transformation ... which i guess have some relationship to food (and food reviews). But since Monty's avatar covers all of that and much larger territory :) maybe i should revert to something less metaphoric.

2008 May 31
Mine is actually a mistake. Being a totally technically challenged person I had chosen a picture of myself in a cafe in Paris--what appeared was a picture of the Eiffel tower (and not a very good pic!) Maybe I should try again...

2008 May 31
Well, itchy, I thought yours was a scanning electron microscope image of a foot fungus :-)

2008 May 31
Mine is a picture of one of our (four) cats. He is the friendliest and loves when people visit! We had our friends and their two daughters over for a New Year's Day dinner, and one of the daughter's was trying out her new camera and took this photo. It reminds me of that evening - friends, love, laughter, good food, good wine.

2008 May 31
Hee hee. I chose mine just because I had a picture of puppet-form Angel as one of my standard icons. I've been meaning to change it to something more food-related, but can't decide on what yet! Maybe my wine cellar.

2008 May 31
Food is Hot - I really like your photo, and how PIO (Pete in Ottawa) has taken to calling you just HOT. LOL, enjoy it babe, time passes by quickly and there is enough time in a day, and days in a year (and years to come) to cover yourself from head to toe in Chef's Whites.

Itchy Feet - Looks like Zym and I thought the same thing regarding a biology project, or else some sort of underwater shot of seaweed.

WC - I for one believe that sometimes the best things in life happen by accident... I like the pic of the Eiffel Tour, I imagine you in spending a summer in Paris living in some artist's loft. Noshing on baguettes, cheese and such... So French. (Pass the wine svp).

Alley Cat - Friends, Family, Laughter, Good Food, Good Wine and a Friendly Feline, these are indeed some of the best things in life! He is a cute tabby.

Momomoto - Your avatar is just so cute (but then it's kind of a Jekyll & Hyde kind of thing isn't it, no one can say you are an Angel). That aside, I like the fact that it is one of those Henson puppets that look so real. He looks busy work, writing a paper perhaps, reading the latest Vintages Wine Review. A worldly kind of guy. Any similarities?

2008 May 31
Picture taken during my honeymoon, enjoying a smashing spaghetti carbonara! :) I was jetlagged and it shows - I look tired!

2008 May 31
Sourberry - Great photo! I don't see jetlagged, I see contentment. Love & Food (Pasta at that), you make-a all of the Italian Mommas so proud, now That's Amore!

2008 May 31
Mine is of a vendor in San Fran's Chinatown. I can't wait to go back!

Monty - yours is hilarious!

edit: I don't like posting images of myself online for privacy reasons, but if you feel like doing some facebook stalking, I'm one of very few guys with facial hair (beard) on the facebook group.

2008 May 31
wtf since when is there an ott foodies facebook group?! i'm so there.

2008 Jun 1
Yeah, the facebook group is where I give status updates when this site is unreachable for whatever reason. If you're ever concerned that we're gone for good, just check facebook.

2008 Jun 1
F&T - Heh. Clearly I'm angry about some editorial that was written in some newspaper about something. Or my favourite wine has just been panned by a critic ;)

2008 Jun 2
Chimichimi - I love your "rubber chicken" picture (lol), so real it looks fake. Haven't been to San Franciso, but it is on my list of places to see... or more correctly Sonoma & Napa are my destinations, SF is just the a means to get there. I've heard that SF is really really expensive (hotels in particular), but at the same time very pretty.

2008 Jun 2
F&T - not to completely derail this topic but I was recently in SF and stayed at Le Meridien (a Starwood hotel) for $120/night booked through Expedia. I slipped the clerk at the front desk a $20 and he gave us a junior penthouse suite, and even brought us up champagne and a fruit/cheese tray. Proof that SF can be done on the cheap!

2008 Jun 2
I chose mine because it was the most recent photo of myself at the time. I went to the Navan fair only to learn that my camera was not working when I was in the barn. I wanted to take a photo of the signs that named and detailed the animals in the barn. I wanted to do this because one of the uses for sheep was "pleasure" and I think we all know why that is hilarious.

ANYWAY my camera stopped working and I was very sad and then right when I was about to bite the bullet and buy a new one I decided to try it one more time and it worked and that's how my "great success!" photo came into being.

2008 Jun 2
Monty - how do you slip someone a 20? I would love to bribe some folks in the hotel industry (especially when travelling for work where an upgrade is nary to be found for those of us below director level!) but I can't seem to figure out how I would do it subtly enough.

2008 Jun 2
Pam - Put the $20 between your ID and credit card and when they see it ask if they have any nice rooms available. It doesn't always work though - I was recently on business in Halifax and St John's (one a Fairmont) and the girls at the front desks looked at me like I was insane! Somewhat embarassing given the fact I was shooting my mouth off to my co-workers about the "$20 trick". Though in St. John's, out of pity I did get a regular room on the top floor with a view.

It's all about hospitality and keeping the guest coming back...

2008 Jun 2
Pam - Ok there is the Monty system, which when it works is great, but like he said when it doesn't it can be embarassing, because it is seen as a "bribe". And could cause problems for the front desk attendant, especially if someone else sees this approach... even then if they could give you an upgrade they won't.

Another way to do this (get an upgrade at least) is to kill them with kindness, (a) join the hotel points program (members are most likely to get upgrades), and (b) call ahead during the week at different times (this gives you the most chance of catching all the front desk regulars), ask questions about the hotel services, make sure you give your name, and get the name of the person at the front desk serving you. "Hi, this is Sue Jones, I'm coming in on Monday and I want more information about your internet services, (business services, fitness hours")... etc. Call at different times, once on a weekend, once during the day, once in the evening, once late at night. Take notes of who you talk to and the conversation, then when you arrive you can strike up a conversation at check-in, "Oh Hi Betty Brown, I'm Sue Jones with your Points Program, we talked on the phone earlier this week, I asked you about the Fitness Centre, you were so helpful, and told me that the hotel has recently added an indoor pool, I want to thank you so much for your kindness... I am booked in here for the next 3 nights in a Standard Room, is there any possibility you could upgrade me".

It usually works, but even if it doesn't don't give up... everytime you come and go by the front desk make a point of stopping to say something... cheerfulness (and a smile and a sense of humour) are remembered. On your next visit you may have a better chance of getting that upgrade... "Oh Hi Betty Brown, I'm Sue Jones, I remember you, it is so good to see you again, I remember the last time I was here we had a laugh about ---- (or we talked about ---), I'm in a Standard Room, is there any chance you could upgrade me."

In the very least you will have a good experience with the front desk staff, and even if they don't upgrade you, they can greatly improve your stay "Oh I notice you have a room by the elevators, let me move you to a better spot." Or they may very well do other things for you, complimentary items are at their discretion, "Sorry I can't upgrade you we are booked full... but I can offer you this coupon for a free appetizer in our lounge."

The way I see it, when you booked you knew the price, any other freebies are just gravy!

Good Luck!

2008 Jun 2
Tiana - Great story, even better photo!

2008 Jun 3
If I tried to bribe someone on a business trip I am pretty sure it would be a serious violation of my employer's code of ethics.

2008 Jun 3
Pam One thing I learned in my limited travel experience is to call the hotel directly and negotiate. I guess I'm echoing Food & Think's sentiments here but if you stay in a chain (Fairmont, Marriott, etc.) the 800 number usually goes through to someone in a call centre. They give you the room that's available in their system which may not always be the best one and at the rate they have in their system which is not always the best rate. When I deal with the hotel directly I can sometimes get a nicer room at a better rate that the call centre people can offer. One thing I noticed is that if I arrive early for check in on my day of arrival the hotel will sometimes bump me up to a nicer room so I don't have to wait because all of the available standard rooms are being cleaned. You could also inquire about corporate discounts and even if you are travelling for pleasure they might still honour the reduced rate. I know for example provincial and federal employees get generous discounts on hotel rates and I have benefitted from them in the past. Might be worth investigating.

2008 Jun 4
My icon is of the Rat in Ratatouille. I love the movie, so I figured I'd change it up.

But it might change now that we just finished our Niagara Wine Tasting trip. :)

2008 Jun 4
Nanook - I love your icon, he is just sooo cute! And of course he is a foodie in a humourous kind of way (and we all love a smile in our day). I am looking forward to a post about your Niagara Wine Tasting Trip... it is always great for the "winos" here to compare notes. Cheers!

2008 Jun 4
Nanook - I'm going to second F&T's request for the dish on your wine tasting trip. I've got two months until mine rolls around, and I'm already too excited to think straight, so I need an outlet!

(Don't tell anybody, but I spent some time at work solidifying the trip budget, but at least now I know that I can afford my ridiculous obsession.)

2008 Jun 5
Mine is a picture of my daughter enjoying her favourite comfort food (the number 1 at Thu Do). I have since taken many more pics (this one is about 2 years old), and should probably consider changing it. I have a wicked one of her gnawing on one of those tentacle squid legs they serve at the Yang Tze dimsum.

2008 Jun 5
If my future children don't end up being as adventurous as yours, Kate, I'm going to be some upset. That's awesome.

2008 Jun 5
Kate - The photo of your daughter is adorable! In my experience kids will eat just about anything when their really little (and some of the oddest stuff). Then unfortunately their tastes change, and somewheres around 5 or 6 for the next 10 years they are pretty stuck in ways. An important reason that when they are toddlers parents should do all they can to introduce a variety of veggies, otherwise you'll have school-aged child who either has a limited list of likes (the old run of the mill things like carrots, corn, potatoes), or worse yet none at all. Fortunately though if they have the chance to experience new things in their mid to late teens (friends from other cultures, restaurants, travel etc) they will once again be open to a variety of tastes. THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT... the funny thing is you may find them coming home and telling you all sorts of stuff about a particular veggie they've discovered... and you're like grinning away saying "Really, I had no idea." When in fact it may have been a regular at your dinner table just 10 years earlier. LOL. Unfortunately though if the child doesn't go thru this stage with food during High School or College they are the adults who are forever doomed to never wanting to try anything new.... something quite apparent with say my parents' generation.

2008 Jun 5
WE'VE MOVED

As this Forum Topic has now reached 50 Posts, and seems to take a long time to load, I have created a new one to continue the discussion, see AVATARS & ICONS (PART II)

Thanks