Prince Edward County [Travel]

2008 Apr 8
FRESHNESS FROM THE COUNTY

Thought other foodies might enjoy a sampling of the many places we visited while in Prince Edward County for the Maple Festival in addition to the Sugar Bushes (see my entry in the Sugar Shack Forum).

For those of you have never been to Prince Edward County the drive to Picton is just under 3 hours... can easily be done as a day trip, or enjoyed as a weekend away. PE County is quickly making a name for itself as a foodie destination, and lives by the mantra "Taste the County". Almost every food establishment in PE County has got on board the concept of buying, cooking and selling county products. There are now so many food producers and vendors that a Taste Trail has been designated (and marked) by the Province of Ontario, and many food related events are held throughout the year... Maple Festival, County-licious, Harvestin' the County and TASTE!

WARNING - THIS IS A LONG POST SO I HAVE HIGHLIGHTED THE LOCATIONS VISITED FOR EASY REFERENCE

Waring House Inn - (served as homebase, more mouth-watering info to come)

Black River Cheese Company - This farmer-owned cooperative cheese company (the last in Ontario) has been in operation since 1901, and is the only cheese company to still exist in the county following its historic “cheese making” period. Cheese here was once produced all over the county and shipped via the seaway to Britian. After over 100 years of cheese making, it can be said that Black River Cheese is doing something right. Black River Cheese is very popular with both the locals and visitors. It is here at their small roadside store (the factory is out back) that you will find the usual favourites, as well as some specialty items. They have won many awards for their cheeses, and both their White & Yellow 5 Year old cheddar is very popular with wine drinkers (“The Man” says it is one of the best he’s ever tasted). During Maple Festival, Black River Cheese featured a Maple Cheddar (free samples were available for nibbling). It was a mild and interesting combination of cheddar infused with real maple syrup in the processing. Also during the Maple Festival they provided “large” samples of both Maple Walnut and Sugar Shack Maple Ice Cream. The latter a unique combination of creamy vanilla ice cream with small bits of real maple sugar mixed in (I swear, it is one of the top 5 hard ice creams I have ever tasted – and I love my ice cream). Soft Ice Cream is available only in the summertime (starts Mother’s Day) and our own Captain Caper says it is fantastic! In addition to the store selling a great assortment of dairy products, the location also serves as a storefront for many of the local cooks and artisans. You will find an assortment of goodies including cookies, crackers, honey, fudge, photography collections and other nick-nacks. A great shop to savour an ice cream on a summer’s day, and leisurely look thru the shelves. The Black River Cheese Company is located southeast of Picton on Highway 13 just outside of Milford. www.blackrivercheese.com

2008 Apr 8
Pat's Jams – Owned and operated by Pat York, what once began as a hobby is now a fulltime business. Pat though has managed to maintain that “country kitchen” appeal by selling her wares off her back porch. When we arrived the porch was set up with homemade baked goods (cookies, cakes, pies) and an assortment of knitted and quilted items. The casual friendliness continued with offers of free coffee and samples while we browsed. Jam makes over 100 varieties of Jams, Jellies, Marmalades, Pickles, Chutneys and Relishes. The hard part is deciding what to try (samples are available) and then what to buy. We were amazed to find a whole room at the back of Pat’s house dedicated to just row upon row of glistening bottles featuring summertime memories: Rhubarb, Strawberry, Raspberry, Red Currants, and some fun ones like Jewel, FROG (both of these are fruit combos) Apple Pie, Carrot Cake and Cinnamon Heart (named so because of the spices infused with the jam). Fifteen kinds of marmalade, many combinations I’ve never seen or thought of… “The Man” taste-tested the bright green Lime Shred Marmalade and declared it a winner (and a purchase worthy). Bread & Butter Pickles, Corn Relish, Cranberry Chutney, Hot Pepper Jelly, the list goes on and on. Pat also makes many of her varieties in a diabetic sugar-free format. After much debate I settled on a bottle of Sour Cherry Jam and another of Mandarin Orange Marmalade. Pat’s Jams can be found southeast of Picton, on Morrison Point Road just off Route 13. Now that we’ve discovered this jewel of a spot just around the corner from the Black River Cheese Company we plan to visit again soon. www.pec.on.ca/patsjams

Waupoos Winery - The County website lists 14 wineries. This trip we only got to one, Waupoos Winery. After 8 years of research, Waupoos Vineyard and Winery was opened in 2001 – the first Winery in Prince Edward County. Today Waupoos offers a collection of both red and white wines along with some specialty items. For Maple in the County Weekend the Tasting Room was offering 2 Free Tastings per person. “The Man” started with the 2006 Chardonnay Select, and unoaked variety. While I opted for the 2006 Geisenheim Dry. As is our custom, we each sipped a bit of each others. Although the man enjoyed the Chardonnay, I preferred the Geisenheim. As a result we purchased a bottle. Next up were the Reds, “The Man” selected the 2005 Cabernet Merlot, while I chose the 2006 Gamay Noir. After shared sipping we agreed that the Cabernet Merlot was the clear winner, beating out the younger Gamay Noir (although we both noted that perhaps the Gamay might thicken up if cellared). As part of Waupoos contribution to the Maple Festival they were offering an ice wine infused with real maple syrup. For $ 2 a tasting, the 2006 Maple Ice was the clear winner for the day. The addition of maple gave this ice wine a unique Canadian appeal that sets it apart from other Ontario ice wines. A bottle was purchased and will be lovingly stored until served during sometime during the winter of 2009 (I’m envisioning crème brule as its accompaniment). One of Waupoos Winery’s big draw is it lakeside location. In the summer there is a full service restaurant, that like other fine eating establishments in the county features meals made with local ingredients. This fabulous site has wonderful views of Prince Edward Bay, and lovely grounds that affront Lake Ontario. They are also available for special events and weddings. Waupoos Winery can be found southeast of Picton on Highway 8. www.waupooswinery.com

2008 Apr 8
County Cider Company - Was our next stop. Just down the road from Waupoos Winery the Cider Company is housed atop the Waupoos escarpment on a property that features both a stone house and barn built in 1832. In summertime the barn is used as the Tasting Room and Retail Store, while the back-kitchen area of the house serves a patio lunch on the outside patio. Lunch here is fairly inexpensive (and less formal than down the road at the Waupoos Winery) and the view of Prince Edward Bay is notably the best in the county. For the Maple Festival guests were ushered into the back-kitchen (as the stone barn was closed) and warmly greeted with a sample of hard cider. Three types of hard cider were being offered: County Premium Cider, Waupoos Premium Cider and Prince Edward County Ice Cider. I preferred the Waupoos Premium Cider as it was semi-sweet and sparkling. The aforementioned hard ciders are available at select LCBOs and the Ice Cider as well as an assortment of other apple products (including non-alcoholic cider) is available at the Cider House. During the Maple Festival the kitchen had a line-up for some mouth-watering maple crepes (there were lots of satisfied customers). “The Man” and I have decided to plan for lunch here one day this summer. The County Cider Company can be found southeast of Picton just off Highway 8, on the corner of Bongards X-Road. www.countycider.com

Barley Days Brewery – Our final stop on our self-guided Maple Festival tour was the local brewery. Originally marketed as Glenora Springs Brewery, and now owned by Christopher & Norah Rogers (who also own the very successful Waring House Inn and Claramount Inn properties). The Brewery now honours the local history of The County and its Empire Loyalist roots. For the Maple Festival samples were available of 3 brews: Wind & Sail Dark Ale, Harvest Gold Pale Ale, and the seasonal Sugar Shack Ale. Both “The Man” and I enjoyed sipping the pale ale, but preferred cooking with the Sugar Shack Ale (acquired taste). As well tours of the facility, there were plates of maple-baked beans & bacon with a slice of baguette. Entertainment on the Brewery House floor was provided by “Hank Williams” of The Festival Players of PECounty. This was a special preview, as the Festival Players will be performing “Hank Williams – The Show He Never Gave” later this summer. For more info on the summer theatre schedule check out: www.countysummertheatre.com Both Barley Days Pale and Dark is available at the LCBO, as well as various locations around Ottawa (check their website). Seasonal and specialty brews can be found at the Brewery. The Brewery is located just west of Picton, on the Loyalist Highway (Hwy 33). www.barleydaysbrewery.com

2008 Apr 8
Pat's Jams sounds like one heck of a winner. If I'm lucky I'll remember it for when my cohorts and I finally do a wine tour of The County. Thanks for sharing!

2008 Apr 8
This is a good run down of the highlights of PE County; definitely a good foodie destination that's pretty close to Ottawa.

I'd like to add another favourite, Slicker's Ice Cream in Bloomfield. It's probably the best ice cream I've ever had outside of Italy. It's also seasonal, so you'll have to wait until closer to summer for it to open. On trips to Belleville, I've been known to throw a cooler in the trunk of the car to pick up a couple of litres to bring back to Ottawa.

www.slickersicecream.com/

If people want to try Black River cheese, it's available locally at Herb and Spice on Bank St. (haven't seen it at the Wellington St. location).

The LCBO (Vintages specifically) is starting to carry more PE County wines. I picked up a couple of bottles recently from Rosehall Run and Huff Estates.

2008 Apr 8
Inkling - Thanks for your input. I only noted the locations that we visited on this trip to PE County during Maple Fest, I have been before (we are big fans of TASTE in the Fall, and we plan to check out TERROIR this May). Sadly, I haven't been to Slickers yet, but it is on my summertime list. You are right, foods from PE County are catching on in Ottawa, many of the foods from there are showing up in foodie shops in and around Ottawa.

And the LCBOs in general now are paying more attention to Ontario Wines, and since PE County became an official viticulture region (appellation) last year they are of course getting more exposure. We buy a bottle from time to time to check out how the wines are "doing". "The Man" and I both find wines from PE County a little young yet (somewhat harsh) but they definitely have something that will improve over time. Besides it is fun to get on board with something when it is young, and watch it grow into something that everyone else has like suddenly discovered when it is more mature and successful. Right now we have our eyes on all the wineries, because there is something worthwhile happening at all of them (because the vines are so young, it is too early to know what will happen over time), each Winery right now is making some wines that could easily grow into some great contenders. A lot of the fun is in the watching (and sampling) over time.

Cheers!

2008 Apr 8
Inkling - yes the LCBO is promoting PE County wines. On March 15, the King Edward location hosted a tasting of PE wines. There were nibblies and reprsentatives from 4 or 5 different wineries, including Rosehall and Huff. Best of all was that it was free!

2008 Apr 8
I wish I knew about that. When I've visited the wineries in past years most of them said that it would be too expensive to distribute through the LCBO, and their volume was not big enough. I'm glad to see that they are getting some attention.

I've thought that the county wineries should all get together and open their own outlets in Toronto and Ottawa (at least) like the vendor outlets that you see in the grocery stores or the malls (eg. Wine Rack).

2008 Apr 8
Inkling and others - Please note I am in the process or drafting a reply to Inkling's latest post (re the LCBO & Ontario wines)... the situation is somewhat complicated, but I should have the info up here in about 30 minutes.

Thought I'd share this info, so it would save others from starting to explain this Bureaucratic Red Tape.

2008 Apr 8
Ontario Wines & the LCBO - Firstly the LCBO has started to feature Ontario wines more prominently in its stores, vintages section, foodie magazines, demo-kitchens etc. BUT AT A PRICE shall we say. The LCBO ONLY features wines that it distributes. And it only distributes wines that it chooses to "purchase" from the wineries. In order for a wine to be on the LCBO general list the winery has to be able to supply "tons" of the stuff. So in order to do that, generally the wineries use their lesser grapes in these blends (just because you grow it doesn't guarantee how it will turn out, chardonnay may be fantastic one year, and awful the next, but you still got to sell the wine you make). The other option is to buy grapes from other vineyards (when they do this with grapes outside of Ontario - say BC, then the wine is labeled as Cellared in Ontario... when they do it with wines outside of Canada, then it is labeled Cellared in Canada). Both of these types of wines can be ok to good, but they are what they are (so don't get fooled by the words ONTARIO or CANADA).

To put this in perspective, I'll give you the Quebec perspective on this (because they did it first). In Quebec for example, some wine comes over on tanker ships from France & Italy (the stuff the Europeans would not drink, and why would they, they have some of the best wine in the world) yes it is wine, but not the best year, grapes or terroir... it is then bottled in Quebec and sold as "Cellared in Canada" (or Quebec, not sure of the SAQ Rules on this one). This plonk ends up on the grocery stores shelves, we've all seen it (and unfortunately tasted it as well).

Secondly, when the Winery decides to "sell" their medium to best vintages to the LCBO these wines typically end up in the Vintages section. Oftentimes these are medium or limited runs (refers to the number of barrels produced), and these can be excellent wines for the money. These wines however are definitely loss leaders for the wineries. They sell these to the LCBO strictly for the exposure. They want to generate interest in their name (a) to hopefully get you to visit a winery, and (b) to buy off the general list thereby helping them to clear their mediocre grapes. A winery typically gets $ 2 to $ 3 per bottle from the LCBO while the bottle lists at $ 10 - $ 20. The winery also sells these this wine at their wineries for same asking price as the LCBO, so it is better if one can to purchase the bottle from the winery for the same money (most wineries will ship to you, many for FREE), as it actually supports the winery. This is the part I've never understood... the LCBO claims to support Ontario Winemaking but really just gouges the wineries.

Thirdly, the BEST wine a winery makes is only for sale at or thru the Winery. When people still turn their noses up at Ontario wine it is because more likely than not they are drinking the PLONK I mentioned in my first category (that or they still have a hangover from the 70s).

Lastly, the Ontario Government (ie LCBO) controls the rules surrounding those winery outlets that you see in the malls. There is a cap in place on how many can exist (part of the reason sometimes one closes, even though you thought it was popular... they use the license to move to a more trendier location / new mall). These stores are a real scam (IMO), they are run by a cartel that has a lot of American interest (Vincor), and they lobby so that the cap remains in place. So that only members of their alliance can be featured in the stores, and no new stores can be opened. The winemakers of Ontario, would love it if independent wine stores could be opened in Ontario... think a small chain of outlets selling Ontario wine in Ottawa, with demos, info, tastings, etc. The winemakers would love to have this feature... instead they can only market currently at Chef's Dinners, the Wine & Food Show, etc (and even there they can't sell their product to you).

So what can you

2008 Apr 8
Ugggh...

So What Can You Do?

Suppport your local winery. Tour a Winery (PE County is just 3 hours away), Do a Wine Vacation (Niagara is a great tourist destination and has a variety of accommodations, and some fantastic restaurants - stand-alones, inns, winery kitchens). Infact some wineries won't even sell to the LCBO, some of the most amazing wine I've had in Niagara has come from basically unheard of wineries. Remember you can always buy direct. Try a vintages release, find something you like and then order directly from the Winery (you pay the same price per bottle, the Winery gets the profit not the LCBO). Tell your friends about the Bureaucratic Red Tape (and how to support a winery), order as a group. Write a Letter, send an E-mail, tell the Ontario SMALL Winery you support them in their cause. Write your MLA to shine a light on this back-handed slap to our worldclass, award winning wineries. (The grapevine tells me that the Small Winemakers of Ontario are hoping to start up a petition, if you see it sign it).

Cheers!

2008 Apr 8
I can concur on your take on PE County Wines, F&T. I did have a really good Chard from Huff (I think it was the Lighthall one) at the Wines of Ontario tasting that took place in February. Gave me hope for the future.

2008 Apr 8
Thanks for the run down. When the Province brought in restaurant BYOW legislation, I had hoped it indicated a willingness to bring our liquor laws into the 20th century (sic) but there's still a ways to go! I like the idea of buying directly from the winery.

I also agree about the quality of county wines. Similar to Niagara in the past, I've found the whites to be more consistent than the reds but I have had some good reds as well (I don't keep notes but I remember a good Cabernet Merlot from Huff and Pinot from Long Dog).

2008 Apr 8
Momomoto & Inkling - I have in the last year or two had some fairly good wines from PE County... a Niagara winemaker (an old hand) once told me that you can't get anything worthwhile out of a vat / barrel until you can get grapes off vines that are at least 5 years old. The first wineries in The County have recently reached that milestone and the rest will follow in good order. Like I said I'm watching all the wineries, but I do have a few favourites as I've definitely tasted some up and coming product. And yes it is a mix, not just whites, it depends where on the penninsula the winery is located... inlets, bays or straight out onto Lake Ontario. Each terrior (and mini climate) gives a different result. I'm keeping my eyes on the whites (although I'm guessing overtime they will find a different mix of grapes than Niagara has had success with) and the lighter reds... Gamy, Merlot, and Pinot Noir. Because Rose is made from red grapes, I'm excited that more wineries are experimenting with this type of wine... rose has in the past fallen out of favour (think Mateus) but it really can be a decent wine (and a nice summer wine), and it goes with so many types of meats (especially the lighter fare on the BBQ). Whats more, making rose wines from good quality reds (when done right) can be very rewarding and surprising. For example it is a little known fact that parts of France makes fantastic rose. Add to that my recent experience with Maple Ice at Waupoos... this is smart, marketing two products together, something that Niagara can't offer (too warm a climate for maple syrup). And a new niche item.. and OH SO CANADIAN!

As for Long Dog Pinot, I tasted one at their Winery back in the Fall of 2006 that could be destined for remarkable things. "The Man" bought 2 bottles. The first was opened at Thanksgiving 2007, it was good. But because it can cellared until 2012, we decided to let the second one age a bit longer. I'll be able to tell you more when we open it for Thanksgiving 2008 or 2009. (Ah yes the waiting... the worst part of being a wine lover).

2008 Apr 8
As for changes in legislation, the Liquor Laws in this Province are slow to change. BYOB was a good attempt, although I do wish more places would get on board, or in the very least advertise the fact. The way it is now, you have to know where and when (not always all days of the week).

One thing I'd love to see Ontario incorporate is something I saw while on vacation in Cape Cod this past summer. Massachusetts, although seemingly having some wacky aspects of their liquor law (no minors anywhere near the bar... and remember that is 21 in the USA), so they have to build restaurants with two eating areas, the Dining Room and the Lounge (talk about your 1950s).

BUT, what they do have is a law that allows the partial consumption of a bottle of wine and then taking it with you. This is a good thing, it promotes the fact that people don't feel they have to drink what is left in the bottle rather than "waste" it (and the money they spent). The restaurants seal the bottle with a special cork / stopper, insert the bottle and a copy of your bill in a clear plastic bag (made for this purpose) that has one of those sticky stips like the courier companies use (the kind that you can never get apart). So then if you happen to be pulled over, you are not technically transporting open liquor, the officer can see where you bought the bottle (and how much was consumed I suppose... seeing as he can see both the bottle and your bill). But I really liked the fact that you could take the wine home with you... It really sucks if you decide you don't want to drink anymore, but are faced with leaving an expensive bottle behind. I really think this law promotes more responsible consumption.

2008 Apr 8
OK, I'm sending this down a rathole, but I promise it won't last long.

I get genuinely pissed when I read reviews of Ontario wine and they talk smack. I read a review of the 2004 Petit Verdot that Stratus released, and the review was essentially: "Ontario should stop trying to make warm-climate wines. This wine was green and disgusting."

This makes me SO ANGRY.

Because that wine was really good. And not green at all.

And Niagara's not a cold climate by any stretch of the imagination.

ANYway, back on track. Kind-of. I deleted 75% of what I wrote there. Consider yourselves lucky!

Canada has great potential, in my poorly-researched opinion, to carve itself out a niche with Gamay. I think that we're the number-two world producer of Gamay, and we should leverage that. Given that soil in The County often has the same qualities as that in Burgundy, there's an opportunity there. I love the ballsy, rustic interpretations of Gamays that some Niagara producers are making: Cave Springs, Malivoire, and Château des Charmes all have offerings that are more suited to substantial foods rather than summer picnics.

2008 Apr 8
I hate it when people look down their noses at Ontario wines. I hope that people will realize that Ontario wineries are doing more than simply ice wines.

One of the best Rosés I have had was at Inniskillin and I haven't found in the LCBO or Vintages since. I can't wait to make my way down to Niagara and PE County this summer for my first wine trip(s) in a few years.

F&T: I didn't know about the limited licenses for the wine stores. Interesting. I'll definitely sign a petition... I tried some wonderful Ontario wines at the Wine and Food show in the fall.

2008 Apr 8
CORRECTION - Glad I caught this:

"Add to that my recent experience with Maple Ice at Waupoos... this is smart, marketing two products together, something that Niagara can't offer (too warm a climate for maple syrup)."

ME BAD... Of course there is some maple syrup made along the Niagara Escarpment (St Catherines and north, northwest?... why do I always get so confused in this area geographically). I for a fact know that there is a location not far from Henry of Pelham. I just meant that (a) Prince Edward County makes more by volume, (b) and PE County is known for their maple syrup vs Niagara, and (c) it is another case of PE County utilizing their local resources in their marketing.

2008 Apr 8
Momomoto - I'm with you on the Gamay. I love Gamay. I've had some excellent ones in Niagara. I'd love to see PE County develop into an area that is distinct from Niagara. Niagara is known overall for 3 styles of wine / grapes: Vidal Ice Wine, Riesling or Gewurztraminer, and the ever present Chardonnay (and yes sometimes people can't either get past this, or in the worst case can't even embrace Canadian wine at all... Don't get me started either). BUT, IMO if PE County was able to make a name for itself with someother type of grape(s) that could only be good news for both The County and their winemaking (attract attention and input from afar, like it happened in Niagara, where winemakers from around the world come for a look) and it would also be good for winemaking overall in Ontario / Canada because we wouldn't be so likely to be "pigeon holed" into one category.

2008 Apr 8
I'm glad to hear that you put Gewürz on the list of notables, there. I haven't done a side-by-each comparison to Alsace or German Gewürzes, but it's true that we make a bunch of it and I always seem to stock up when I go.

Actually, let us not forget Baco Noir. More people (i.e. somebody other than Henry of Pelham) should be trying to make world-class Baco.

I guess what this shows is that, on the red side, it's generally accepted that we should stick to some of the more cold-friendly grapes, like Pinot Noir, Gamay, Cab Franc, and Baco Noir. That having been said, we still have bitchin' Bordeaux blends, and Creekside makes a Rhône-worthy Syrah (although I think they say it's Shiraz.) Heck, Stratus's vineyards are so warm they've planted Tempranillo and Sangiovese.

2008 Apr 8
Momomoto - Can't say I am a big fan of Baco Noir (too smokey, cigary, leathery, for me, LOL). However, "The Man" really likes he, he particularly likes the Reserve from Henry of Pelham.

As for the others, I'm on board. I generally prefer reds from medium to big. BTW, you forgot Foch, another one of my favourites.

And as for Ice Wine, now that I've been to Royal DeMaria and tasted all the different varietals made up into Ice Wine, I can tell you that Vidal (the standard) is my least favourite. But then it just goes to prove that even here it holds true... the Better the Grape, the Better the Wine.

2008 Apr 8
How much did those Royal De Maria tastings cost? The idea of Chard Ice Wine, but not so much that I want to spend the ridiculously-inflated $10000 cost of entry.

2008 Apr 9
We met the winemaker he conducted the tasting, everything we tasted was FREE. He was really really nice and patient too. Took lots of time with the 4 of us and there was another couple there as well... no one called ahead, we just showed up and found him out in the yard basically. We had no idea he was the winemaker until he told us. We tried many many varieties of ice wine... starting at vidal and working our way up the grape varieties. After the whites (there were probably 4 or so) we worked our way into the reds, I remember there was a Cabernet Franc and a Pinot... in total we probably had 6 tastings or so. He stopped when we got to the point where his ice wines sell at riduculous prices (hundreds of dollars per bottle). All the same, we did get to taste some amazing ice wine. Now I truly understand what all the excitement is about. Although I like Ontario Ice Wine, I absolutely love Royal DeMaria Ice Wine. If you get a chance you should check it out, maybe call ahead.

If I recall correctly there was a bottle that traded at $ 50,000 -- YIKES. Oh well at least I can say I have tasted some of the finer things in life.

2008 Apr 10
Not wine related, but I am from Prince Edward County and visit a few times a year. Anyone going to Slickers HAS to try their roasted marshmallow ice cream if they have it in - amazing! Tastes exactly like a campfire-cooked marshmallow.

Oh, and stay away from Harvest. I'm not sure what Michael Potters is doing there, but when I took my parents there for their 50th birthdays, it was an exercise in awful service, oversalted food, and terrible cuts of meat (James' lamb was so fatty he couldn't even eat it).

Here's a chat I had with one of my friends about it:

Pam: the food was good, but not worth the prices they were charging - the prices were on par with Ottawa/Toronto fine dining (like $25 to $40 for mains) and the quality was not there
Pam: jimmy and my mom had the lamb, which was incredibly fatty and just plopped on the plate with everything else
Pam: ross had partridge, which looked like a cheap chicken fettuccine from pizza hut
Pam: I had duck, which was also very fatty and paired with a too-sweet sauce and limp veggies
Pam: general consensus at the table was that the flavours in the food did not go together as well as they might have
Pam: then they brought our wine about 3/4 of the way through our meal
Pam: and the bread was burnt
Pam: all told the bill was $330 - I could have taken my parents somewhere much nicer in Ottawa for that

2008 Apr 10
Pam - LOL, this topic isn't just about PE County wine... although that seems to be the direction it has taken. I posted it originally in hopes that it might generate some chat about the many good foodie items in the region, and the great stuff they are doing to market themselves. It is particularly valuable to have someone's input like yours who knows the region and can share info here on Ottawa Foodies. Thank you.

Thanks also for the info on Slickers (as I said to Inkling, they are on my Summertime list), except now thanks to you, I know exactly what to order. Roasted Marshmallow ice cream sounds yummy (good thing you told me about it, or otherwise I might not have considered it because I would have thought it tasted like say "marshmallow topping).

As for Harvest, I've never been there, but I do know that they get a lot of buzz. I think I'll put it ON HOLD until I hear something more positive. BTW, you didn't say how long ago you were there... that info would be helpful, incase anyone else gives Harvest feedback. It sucks that you had a bad experience especially seeing as (a) it is so costly (b) it was a special occasion and (c) your family is from the region.

LOL... Who said this your entry wasn't "whine" related? ;-P
(This pun was too easy)

2008 Apr 10
Well I didn't want to interrupt ;)

We were at Harvest just last summer. I've heard the Carriage House is the place to go. We'll try it this summer.

I can't say enough about the Black River Cheese Co - other than YUM!

I'll have to try Pat's Jams next time we're down there.

And I wonder, is The Garlic Man still around? He used to drive around town in a white van with a big garlic bulb on the top and sold (I think) organic, home-grown veggies/garlic.

While I'm whining...

I've been to brunch/lunch a few times at the Waring House and not been impressed either.

Their inn rooms are fabulous though, and the attached Barley Room is a great place to go and have a pint and something to eat.

2008 Apr 10
I started googling around, looking for new places to try on this summer's trip to PEC, and remembered that our favourite meal last summer was had at the Isaiah Tubbs Resort, on their deck overlooking the beach. The actual restaurant is called "Restaurant On The Knoll".

We'll also likely try Portabella this year, as it's caught my eye the last few times we've been in town.

I've never been disappointed at Currah's: www.currahs.com/

And we'll likely be visiting Angeline's, the Claramount and the Merrill Inn (Merrill Inn for afternoon tea).