Packzi [General]

2013 Feb 6
Trying to think of it ahead of time for once - where can I order some Packzi in Ottawa?? I'd prefer ones NOT from Loblaws or another chain grocery...

2013 Feb 6
The Sausage Kitchen sells it.

2013 Feb 7
There's also Baltyk, on Carling close to Sherwood. I haven't tried them yet, though, so I can't speak to their quality.

2013 Feb 7
I grew up in Windsor and miss the paczki we could get there. Lines around the block for the prune paczki in Hamtramck. If someone has actually tasted a good one here, please share!

2013 Feb 8
The strange little Polish deli/convenience store in that huge, scary apartment building on Bell St. (you see it at the Queensway, just W. of Bronson) used to have them, shipped in from Montreal three days a week. It was called Wedel, but in looking for it, it seems to no longer be in existence.

2013 Feb 8
I was at Wedel: A Touch of Europe last summer and it was a well-stocked place with lots of great cured meats at the deli counter. Can anyone confirm whether or not it has disappeared? I thought I drove by a month or two ago and it was still there. I believe Calabria Restaurant & Pizzeria is next door.

2013 Feb 8
@blubarry - my Uni roomate was from Hamtramck, her parents used to deliver paczki to us in E. Lansing

2013 Feb 8
I'm pretty sure the Paczki that used to be delivered to the law firm I worked for were from Hamtramck. Those were the BEST.

2013 Feb 8
Saw them at Warsaw Polish Deli a while back.

They told me, at that time, they get them from Mtl. for the weekend shoppers.

2013 Feb 8
Thanks Cap. I thought I remembered seeing them there.

2013 Feb 10
Wedel: A Touch of Europe IS indeed still open--the building is being renovated and has scaffolding in front of it so I missed it! They do get Paczki in regularly but sell out quickly--call for the current schedule.

2013 Feb 23
Was at Warsaw this morning.

Two versions .... this one, from Ponki (Montreal) ... more sweet.

2013 Feb 23

Two versions .... this one, from Ponki (Montreal) ... more sweet.

2013 Feb 23

Two versions .... and this one, from Rosemont Bakery (Montreal) ... less sweet.

2013 Feb 23

Two versions .... and this one, from Rosemont Bakery (Montreal) ... less sweet.

2013 Feb 25
Looks like you got a baker's dozen, Captain. These babies look nice. How much does Warsaw sell them for. And I'm assuming they have them on Saturdays. Thanks for the info

2013 Feb 25
Bacon I.V.
Sorry forgot to get the price. (A phone call to their friendly staff could fix that). Did not buy any this time. Trying to maintain my young girlish figure ! (yeah ... right).

Yes.. Fresh on Saturdays ! I was there at 11:300 Sat. and they had about 2 and a half boxes of each kind left.

They sell the individually. At least they did when I bought them there 3 years ago.

2013 Feb 26
Thanks a lot Cap'n. I'll give them a shout, or just drop in Saturday morning.

And I'm sure your figure is spectacular!

2013 Mar 3
Update: dropped in yesterday, and I got 2 each of these bad boys from Warsaw Polish Deli, the sweet and the not-so-sweet. Both were very good and fresh, with quality filling. One had more filling, I think it was the sweet one. Both glazes seem the same, both brioche-like dough texture similar. No clue on the price cause I bought a bunch of other stuff and the only bill I have is the debit total. Cash or debit, btw. No credit.

Genial owners, friendly people. They have tons of stuff, wide selection of cookies, canned and jarred veggies, krauts, red peppers, pickled fish of various kinds, fresh cheeses and deli of course, pastries, breads, the latter of which I took a 6-pack pag of brioches, which we use for burger buns, $3/bag I believe.

Thanks again for the lead, CC, I shall return.