Peruvian Food [Food/Vendor]

2012 Aug 12
Hi there,

Had to post about this because the Ottawa area has been needing a proper Peruvian sit-down restaurant for quite some time, and I'm hoping this time it sticks.

This is in no-way meant to downplay the deliciousness and convenience of La Tiendita Virtual (The Virtual Store), but it's hard to convince a group of wary Gringos to a converted house and convince them it's a legitimate restaurant.

Restaurant Amazonas is by NO means your standard restaurant. If you're expecting aesthetic pleasures and inspired decor, this is not for you. If you're like a LARGE group of people who are expanding their international culinary experience, then this is THE place to be.

I won't waste time describing the myriad of flavours and delights Peru has wrought upon our international foodie menus, I will say that it is one of the few things I AM proud of about being Peruvian.

On to the food. Amazonas is not an easy find, and a bit of a jog for those of us in the Ontario side of things. Located at 19 Chemin Eardley in Aylmer can be a bit of a hindrance for most, but if you're willing to sacrifice the mileage and an afternoon, I recommend it.

Very unassuming building, the young waitstaff was courteous and nervous. It made the whole thing charming, especially since it's still new.

We were treated to a pitcher of delicious, albeit a little watered-down, pitcher of Chicha Morada and some delicious fried corn snack called Cancha. A staple if you're eating or drinking Peruvian.

We began our adventure with a plate of Papa Rellena, literally, stuffed potato. A mashed potato creation with savoury, seasoned meat, onions, egg and raisins inside, covered in egg wash and deep fried. Served, as always, with the ubiquitous onion salad that is common with EVERY Peruvian dish. It's as if Peruvians did not care when it comes to dates and bad breath. The Papa was huge, a generous portion that we had a hard time sharing and finishing. Deliciously seasoned and perfectly cooked without any greasy residue.

We followed up our shared entree with my Jalea Mixta, a fried, battered seafood medley. As I powered through the deliciously battered and well-fried shrimp, crab, mussels and calamari, I was surprised to find an entire tilapia filet, fried and battered waiting for me at the end. The healthy portions of Huancaina sauce (a cheesy, savoury dip or spread), onion salad, and fried Yucca inspired me to complete the whole damn thing.

My date ordered the Chupe de Mariscos and was overwhelmed by the giant portion of Peruvian seafood risotto. The flavours were strong, recognizable and complimentary. The only real problem was that it was almost TOO much for my date to handle alone. To which I was more than happy to help finish.

While the food had COMPLETELY satisfied both our hungers, we were still offered the traditional Peruvian desserts of Arroz con Leche, rice pudding; flan, Masamorra Morada, a grape-flavoured purple-corn jello, and Budin, Peruvian bread pudding.

Amazonas has been smart. Their menu is small and reflective of several key regions of Peruvian cooking. I believe it is the size of their menu that will ensure the high quality of the food and the AMAZING portions.

Price was a big factor in going here, and I was happy to say that the prices are even comparable to some BETTER Peruvian restaurants I've been to in the U.S.

I'm hoping that in the future, Amazonas will offer some Peruvian alcohol, more traditional desserts, including picarones, and staple side-dishes, beans, rice and fried yucca.

Amazonas is only opened from Thursday-Sunday every week, from 10am - 8+. I know they offer karaoke as well, but really, why bother? They have an interesting sounding Criollo Buffet, Creole or Typical Food Buffet every Sunday that I have yet to try.

Again, I cannot speak highly enough for Peruvian cooking, from the fusion of cultures within their dishes, to the WAY these dishes are prepared. If you cannot go to Peru, Miami, or New York (don't bother about MTL, they suck), or marry into a Peruvian family, do me, AND yourself, a favour; head to Amazonas.

Buen Probecho
Aa!

2012 Aug 12
Thanks for the plug. This sounds like an exciting addition to our food scene! I've added a vendor entry and cloned your comments there: Amazonas