Chicago eats [General]

2010 Aug 4
Thinking of going here for a few days. Any suggestions on great places to eat?

2010 Aug 4
Really good and just as expensive:
- Alinea (over $200 per person)
- Charlie Trotters (of course)

A little more reasonable:
- Fontera Grill (Rick Bayless)
- Riccardo Trattoria

Really cheap but good
- Hot Dougs
- Kuma's Corner

Opinionated About Food has their favorite list at:

www.opinionatedaboutdining.com

I hope this is helpful.

2010 Aug 4
How long a list do you want? An excellent resource is the lthf forum:
www.lthforum.com/bb/index.php

I cannot suggest strongly enough to go visit Mado and Avec. Those were two highlight from a visit a while ago. Rick Bayless' new sandwich/churro/hot chocolate restaurant is awesome. If you are there on a Sunday you must go to the Maxwell St Market - the best Mexican street food in America, and ridiculously cheap.

Next time I go back, I'll skip the Thai food - it was ok, but not worth the trip from downtown.

I would try Hot Dougs - Foie gras hot dogs and duck fat fries. Unfortunately he was closed when I was there.

Chicago is an AWESOME food city - maybe better than San Francisco. You'll have a great time!

2010 Aug 4
Wow awesome guys! keep it comin'

2010 Aug 4
For best deep dish pizza try Lou Malnatis
www.loumalnatis.com/
Fronterra Grill on North Clark Street was excellent as well.
www.fronterakitchens.com
For a cheap delicious beef sandwich try Al's Beef. Don't forget to ask for it juiced
www.alsbeef.com/

2010 Aug 4
Here is an earlier thread with a few suggestions for the Windy City. Enjoy!

Forum - Chicago-bound: suggestions on the cheap??post_id=21192#post_21192

Also, if you fly there, you might consider taking Porter. They fly to Midway and are the only "international" airline there. Midway is close to downtown and doesn't have O'Hare-style lineups.

2010 Aug 6
I second Rick Bayless's restaurants. Must TRY Oxaccan Black mole at frontera. his new mexican "street food" spot is his new hot spot.

Alinea is one of the best in north america...but it is a LONG evening.

TRU www.trurestaurant.com/

moto has an edible menu www.motorestaurant.com/

charlie trotters has been a chicago staple for years

everest restaurant

blackbird restaurant...this place looks awesome.

2010 Aug 7
I know it's not fancy but when I was there many years ago I love Giordanos pizza. When I lived in Seattle I had a huge pregnancy craving for the pizza and had it shipped over. It was yummy but not as good as the hot deliciousness from the shop's oven.
A friend just got back from Chicago this week and has being killing me by going on about the deliciousness of the Vosges chocolate bacon. Sounds like a must try!

2010 Aug 9
Here is another link to a Chicago blog I stumbled upon. It looks like a pretty decent drooling point:
www.chicagogluttons.com/

cheers

2010 Aug 10
Art Smith has a great restaurant called Table 52 in Chicago that you must try!!

www.tablefifty-two.com/

2010 Aug 11
i second table 52, forgot all about it!!

2010 Aug 11
Zagat on Table 52:

TABLE fifty-two
52 W. Elm St.
(bet. Clark & Dearborn Sts.)
Chicago, IL 60610
Neighborhood: Gold Coast

312-573-4000

food decor service cost
24 23 23 $60
For "knockout" "soul food north of the Mason-Dixon line", surveyors jump aboard the "biscuit bandwagon" at this "upscale" Gold Coast American belonging to Oprah's onetime chef, Art Smith; enthusiasts dub the "beautiful" "homestyle" setting - plus "hummingbird cake" and "fried chicken" that leave you "feeling fat" - an "interesting take" on the Southern experience, and though a few say it's "overhyped and overpriced", most find the service "lovely."

Day Hours
Mon 5:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Tue 5:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Wed 5:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Thu 5:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Fri 5:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Sat 5:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Sun 4:00 PM to 8:30 PM

Features
Celebrity Chef
Online Reservations
Photos
Private Room Available
Quiet Conversation
Romantic Spot
Takeout Available

Top Rated Lists
American (Traditional) Tops

2010 Aug 11
Wow. That sounds awesome.

Between Table 52, The Publican, deep-dish pizza, all-dressed hot dogs, and Italian beef, I could easily live forever in Chicago.