breakfast in the glebe? [General]

2009 May 15
have lived here for a while, but have yet to find a good breakfast spot.

2009 May 15
Just on the north side of the queensway on the left is Ada's (Wilf & Ada's) and just on the right is Gina's Cafe (Absinthe Café Resto Bar). I have been to both a fair bit and like them a lot. Technically not in the Glebe I don't think, but just on the outskirts and well within walking distance.

2009 May 15
pretty sure gina's has closed. I have heard okay things about ada's but also that it's overpriced and overrated.

2009 May 15
Em, have you thought about Carmen's Verandah Carmen's Verandah or Von's? Von's Bistro Both are good, in a bit of a fancy breakfast sort of way.

2009 May 15
If by breakfast, you mean 4am, walking it off breakfast, I've found bagels from Kettlemans to be quite satisfactory...

2009 May 15
Generally, I've been disappointed with the breakfast options in the Glebe. People always recommend brunch at the Arrow & Loon, I've been, but didn't quite get the hoopla. I'd suggest Ada's or the Bramasole for a standard greasy spoon breakfast, but they're both out of the Glebe by a few minutes in either direction.

2009 May 15
I don't mind bramasole. I don't really like kettleman's bagels. and isn't vons expensive?

2009 May 16
Ada's is over-rated and over-priced? You sure we are talking about the same place? Maybe you are thinking of Cora's? Ada's is a greasy spoon, and as far as that goes the price and quality are about identical to any other greasy spoon I've ever been to - John's, Gina's, Mellow's, Cozy's, Fil's, etc. There really is nothing to over-rate - it is what it is. One thing I do like is that the owners are extremely friendly and that Ada will remember your regular order even if you have not been in there in months. That happened to me yet again just about a month ago after not being in for probably 4 or 5 months. I ordered sausage instead of bacon and she looked at me and raised an eyebrow and made a comment about it. I was impressed!

2009 May 16
if you'd like to try something different, i used to go to jericho cafe (formerly glebe cafe) for the brunch. it is good coffee and they have an eggs diablo (maybe called something else) that is wonderful. hardboiled eggs in a spicy tomato sauce. the owner is really nice. also great falafel.

i've never had anyone recommend arrow and the loon, on sunday mornings all the runners go there, so it is a busy spot that can accomodate large groups.

other pub breakfast options are irene's (lots of character, very standard breaky).

von's is great. you get a complimentary basket of banana bread while you wait, prices are really reasonable.

sunday mornings, head the to farmer's market at landsdowne. fresh local eggs, bacon, sausage and fair trade coffee.

olga's during the week is great for breakfast too (beside the works). i don't know if they are open on weekends or not.

best thing to do is work your way down one side of the street (and take in ada's on other side of the queensway), then work your way back along the other.

2009 May 16
mmmm...banana bread.

em, let us know which you end up choosing, and how it went. i'm dying for another new breakfast place.

2009 May 16
von's...banana bread?
when I worked there it was Zucchini bread
with the vanilla and sugar, I guess it could be mistaken for banana bread unless it's changed which could be as I have not been in 10 years
must ask Caren next time I see her

and I second Olga's but I too am not sure if it is open on the weekends
and second Von's but it's hugely busy on the weekends

2009 May 16
I liked Olga's, the only downside were the homefries - of the coated-frozen-bagged variety.

2009 May 16
could be zucchini bread. i'm told i have a selective memory :)

2009 May 17
Gina's - closed

Olga's - very good sandwiches, I've never had breakfast food there

Ada's - decent but overpriced. if you don't tell them to hold off, expect a gallon of hollandaise on any Benedict. friendly, but sometimes a bit too in-your-face - once while there in winter I asked if the blinds could be closed so i could see and i got a 15 minute rant about how I should never ever touch the blinds because that is all that heats the place etc etc... I didn't do anything. Every time she came back to the table I had to hear about it again. Annoying, although it was likely just a senior moment.

Bramasole - good prices, decent food, nothing special going on. be careful when it is busy - on a couple occasions I've been served undercooked eggs (ie almost raw)

Von's - good food for sure, a bit pricey and busy on weekends. more creative stuff than the standard greasy spoon. whatever bread they give you while waiting is delicious and appreciated.

The Corner - across from the Loeb. Very good egg dishes, better than average for sure. sometimes hard to get a table. every time I've been there the restaurant has been about 400 degrees. don't order anything with chicken - last time i was there i was served the pressed / formed chicken. gross.

Arrow and Loon - standard pub breakfast, overpriced.

Kettleman's - I like their bagels and it's nice and quick.

I think The Clocktower serves brunch on weekends. The Urban Pear does as well.

Haven't been to anywhere else for Breakfast in the Glebe in the last year or so, that I can remember anyways.

2009 May 17
OK, now I'm on a mission to do some comparative shopping between Ada's, Cozy's and Fil's, my 3 regular breakfast places. I cannot say I recall any of them being differently priced than the others, but we shall see!

2009 May 17
Because I live too far away I only get to The Glebe on weekends--but I often meet my daughter on weekends for Brunch. I don't often eat eggs so I like to choose a place that has "lunch" options. We like Vons but it is often very busy and service can be off, due to business. We like Infusion Bistro, just next door. They don't have the banana bread as Vons does but we really like their selections. I usually order their burger--which might be the juiciest one in this town! Prices at Infusion are about the same as Vons--service is laid back, don't bother if you want to be gone in 45 minutes. BTW, excellent for lunch and dinner!

2009 May 17
AD - if the Clocktower serves a brunch, it is probably pretty good! I'll have to check that out.

2009 May 18
AD- those are exactly the kinds of things I've heard about Ada's. when I say overpriced, more in terms of portions. and no free coffee refills? and sometimes odd/snappy service like what you describe.

The Corner- I've heard it's good for lunch/dinner. so maybe I'll give it a try.

2012 Jan 8
I was also wondering where to go for breakfast this week-end when my husband and I were in the Glebe area. We ended up trying Von's. I had the potato pancake with 2 eggs and peameal bacon. The peameal was nicely done. The potato pancake was fine. I'd agree that it is a little pricey for what you get. I strongly prefer my brunch last week-end at Baker Street Café in Westboro.

2012 Jan 8
Hubs' salmon eggs benedictine at Von's.

2012 Jan 8
Ok, what gives. I've been to Baker Street a couple times. Nothing profound, what is their specialty? Excuse the thread hijack please

2012 Jan 8
There's a place called Alex's on the other side of the street from Kettleman's that is owned by a Venezuelan woman. On Sundays, she has arepas with carne desmechada (shredded beef) for brunch. I'm not sure what her hours are and don't remember how much we paid, but it was good.

2012 Jan 9
@Ravi re BAKER STREET - the baked omlettes take about 30min and are worth the wait. The poppyseed french toast with fresh fruit is a religious experience. Just be prepared to wait longer and pay a few dollars more.

Re Glebe breakfast, THE WILD OAT has some very eclectic and tasty crepes, sandwiches and other things for breakfast. The scones and croissants are fresh, small batch and should be illegal due to crackcocaine-like qualities. The coffee is excellent. Unfortunately the crowd is commesurate to the food.

CORNER is totally decent but nothing mind-blowing.

CARMEN'S is actually OOS, not the Glebe, but worthwhile, albeit a bit pricier along the lines of Vons.

2012 Jan 9
@oSoloMeal, ahhh where were you this morning! I went to Baker Street and had the normal breakfast with a sausage. Along with freshly squeezed OJ. The scrambled eggs were great, I rarely enjoy eggs done that well. Very pleased. Potatoes weren't anything to write home about but the fruit was refreshing. I've noted your suggestions and will explore. Thanks again.

2012 Jan 14
I did not know Wild Oat has crepes,
will have to check that out.

I go to Alex's bakery usually once a week (but have not been since Dec 31, new years..have not really gone out at all much actually).

I think Alex's bakery has chicken Arepas during the week. I did not know they have beef as I do not eat beef,so did not pay attention to that.
They do sell empanadas that are vegetarian, chicken or beef almost every day.

There is also a sign in the bakery that says on Sunday's they have a special brunch menu with eggs- I have not tried the brunch menu, but usually get lunch there Saturday or Sunday.

On the weekend the lady there makes chicken dishes, ribs sometimes and fish w vegetables.
I tried the chicken and ribs and they are good. ribs were extremely spicy though.

Not a breakfast think but Alex's bakery makes some very good butter cookies with tea in them.
I was told they use tea leaves from Tea and Ginseng (a few weekends I was in the store buying something and the lady from tea and ginseng had a table there selling her tea...guess that is her new location..sort of??).

But meant to say, the tea cookies are good- there is earl grey (they put the actual tea leaves in the cookie), roibos, matcha (the matcha one could use more green tea..you can not taste it as much).

-------------
If you are looking for a interesting breakfast item Malak pastry has some kind of Lebanese breakfast dish during the weekend and sometimes during the week.
It is some kind of square made from semolina and there is cheese in the middle and they put that in a large flat bun that has sesame seeds on both side and they heat that up and I think they put syrup on it.
I have no idea what that item is called though,will remember to ask next time I go there.
I asked a few Lebanese people I know and apparently it is a popular breakfast item.