Halloween Appetizers [Cooking]

2008 Oct 16
So I'm having a Halloween party and would LOVE to hear some good ideas of some easy and tasty Halloween inspired appies....and/or punches!!

2008 Oct 16
I made a tombstone cake for Electric Gallery's Halloween party a couple of years ago...it was made for Geoff Derry and I put his actual birthdate on it, with the date of death as Oct 27 so he'd be a couple of day's dead for the party. He really seemed to enjoy it (especially the personalized epitaph...he chose "Always look on the bright side of life." ) They even did a little "funeral service" before we cut and served it.
It was brown butter icing with a light dusting of cocoa powder to look stone-like and the writing was in chocolate.
Someone else made finger-shaped cookies that had an almond "fingernail". They looked pretty gruesome.

Of course cake isn't exactly an appetizer...

2008 Oct 16
The latest Ricardo magazine has some great ideas for ghoulish halloween party food. My favourite was the floating red hand in the punch (made out of red juice frozen in a non-powdered latex glove). The hand is slightly curved (frozen in a bowl) so it looks especially eerie in the punch. You can also freeze extra "fingers" to use as ice for the cups.